close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

N.E. Ohio Catfish hotspots?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BigMha, Jun 20, 2007.

1. BigMha

BigMha QQn 4 that "ONE" big fish

wussup everyboby? my name's Marc....anyone out there catching any cats in the N.E.? i'm not looking for you to give up your "honey hole". just tell me where the cats are being caught on a consistent basis. lake, pond, river...it makes no difference, i'm a bank fisherman and will walk, skip or run to the nearest fishing hotspot. HOLLA BACK!!!!!!

2. I tie into some good channel cats (2-4lbs avg or more) at Nimisilla, West Branch, and Springfield Lake. Cuyahoga river has decent cats also, though lots of bullheads.

Huntinbull

3. You should have decent luck at Mosquito Res. Fish from the causeway and you should be good for a few at night.

4. Mosquito will definently give up some cats at night and try Punderson. I've caught some 20+ inchers out of there and there is a lot of them around the weed edges and pads.

5. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Too bad you cant make it to my neck of the woods near Steubenville. The Ohio river will give you guys that make you definatly want to wear gloves.

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Fish the spillway at night. Setup by the wire and fish straight out with a slip bobber and minnow. We've had 30 fish nights there in years past. Most were 15 to 20".

7. Put a nightcrawler on a large hook, put a sinker on the end of your line, and go to the nearest area that has water and you should catch them. Punderson is my #1 pick for channel cats as I have caught some 25 to 30 inchers there.

8. While maybe not a 'hot spot', I've seen friends catch some exceptionaly large cats out of the Chagrin. Todds field and Daniels park come to mind.

Stinkbaits were used ( i think berkley brand) and it was always in the evening after 8 pm.......

9. yep some of my best cats come out of the chagrin i normally use a bobber and drift minnows theres some :B there

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Saved Fish

11. Berlin resivoir is chock full of catfish. I've got multiple channels, bullheads, and blues. Late spring my brother caught a 18 lb blue cat measuring about 32 inches, on a small size 6 circle hook and a piece of nightcrawler under a bobber. Try small 6 inch bluegills hooked under the dorsell fin, around the overpasses. I don't go to berlin anymore because all I catch is catfish.....lol j/k but in all seriousness if you want to catch some cats you'll be hard pressed to find a denser population.

12. BigMha

thanx 4 the tip...i'll have 2 check it out

13. When you say hooked under the dorsal fin, what exactly do you mean? Like through one side and out the other, or is there a technique/way to rig it somewhat like you would a "jig"? I've never quite known how to do this(just like I don't know how to hook a minnow/shiner to fish it) so I never have.

And do the Cats at Berlin bite during the day as well?

14. BigMha

were you bank fishing or in a boat? i'm boatless so those overpasses would have to be shorline accessable. and WAS that night or day?