close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

myrtle beach winter

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Kastmaster93, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Kastmaster93

Kastmaster93 Cleveland based fisherman

hello all, im going up to Myrtle Beach for winter vacation and have never fished there before. any information about where, how, what is GREATLY appreciated. ive always fished Frisco in the Outer Banks of NC but never South Carolina. again, hopefully someone can help, and it would mostly be pier/surf fishing. thanks in advance, and good fishing.

2. If you've fished the outer banks, Myrtle is essentially the same. Try to go right before high tide so you can get the fish as they're moving. Biggest piece of advice is to get LIVE bait (shrimp work well) rather than frozen.

3. Kastmaster93

k thanks jc, im excited to head down there. live bait seems interesting, only fished it a few times in salt. any and all information is MUCH MUCH appreciated.

4. I have a home in Myrtle Beach and will be going there soon. The fishing is not very good this time of year - May is probably the best time. There is a very nice pier between North and South Myrtle that may be open. It is off Kings Road which intersects highway 17 at the Conway bypass. Just head east and it's just a little way past the Kingston Plantation on the north side of the road. Good luck and have a great time.
    Jim

5. Kastmaster93

thanks Fat Cat, i appreciate the inforrmation. i am actually now going to Charleston SC, my plans have changed.. does anyone know about the fishing there? any more info is still appreciated. thankss

6. It works the same along the eastern seaboard from shore/piers. Live bait works way better because your presentation is limited - especially from a pier. That's also why you want to work when the tide is moving. You'll see plenty of folks who sit on the pier for 8 hours, but the truly productive ones know when to get there.

This isn't the best time for fishing there because some of the best fish aren't in by the coast in the winter, but if you fish when they're moving then you might hook a few drum or what they call "false albacore." If you catch any of those, take pics. Pretty fish. If you catch any drum, no need to share the pics. We've all seen carp before.

7. Kastmaster93

okay thanks for the info. yea, drum are nice fish though. hope to get out on a couple charters, the ones ive heard from are saying how this is the best time of year for the reds and are getting some 3, 40 and even 50 fish days. im hyped for it though, always enjoy the saltwater.