close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my solution to stuck pedestals

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by freyedknot, Nov 1, 2004.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i had one seat base that will not come out.@53 yrs old they are tough to get out even with wd 40 or graphite on them. i baught a muffler clamp to fit the pedestal and use a 2x4 to pry it up and out of the base. it came up easily and i will leave the clamp on the pedestal till it is easier to remove.

2. you just solved one of my problems too

3. Hey guys, I had this problem as well. I took the base out and noticed that it was bent. Looks like the person before me would run with someone sitting on these seats. Making them lean back and changing the angle of the base underneath the floor. I imagine this is the same problem that you have. If you let anyone sit in those seats when you are running above 10mphs I think it is going to happen. heck if you are on erie and rock back and forth it probably could happen over time.
    - I would just replace them if at all possible. I was able to get new bases for $15.00
    Just an FYI
    ying

4. I periodically clean the post and base then spray them with a industrial silicone. No problem on the old boat after three years and so far good sucess with the new boat after one year. :) Did the same thing on my 23 foot Lake Erie boats for years and never had problems. :cool: The key is keeping both the base and insert clean.

5. freyedknot

my pedestal are relatively new and are very tight in the base. ying, how can you not sit in the seats and run the boat???

6. I was thinking the same thing that Freyedknot is.
    At least with my small boat the pedestal seats are all I have. I do have one that gives me fits as well. But then again I only take it out when I am covering the boat which is usually not real frequent. I think I need to give them a good cleaning and spray the silicone on them like Shortdrift suggested. That will hopefully take care of my problem.

7. Sorry, guess I wasn't making sense.. Do all of your seats come out? Also, do they go into the floor or sit on top of it? Final question I guess I should also find out is, what type are they? I have swiveleezy (sp) that move and the base goes underneath the floor. When I looked at my instructions it told me not to sit on the seats while running the boat over 10mph. To me, it made sense.. but I understand what you are saying if the boat only has these seats.. I will bet you, if they are like mine and you run while sitting on them you will find a problem like I was saying. I have seats that are stable, and other areas you can sit without being in the moveable seats.

8. freyedknot

i only have 3 seats and pedestals on board. the bases and pedestals have to be rated to be used while motoring . drivers seats are always rated for use while under way. the rating should be on your pedestals.so yes all of mine are rated to be used while under way.