close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My pops

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by starcraft, Sep 10, 2007.

1. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

Really dont know where to start with this but iam going threw a very rough time in my life. My dad has lung cancer and i dont know how to deal with the fear and pain sadness iam feeling.

Sometimes fishing takes a back seat to life and this is one of those times. Very not like me not to be fishing and have not since early july. Its hard to see someone i love and respect dearly be sick and not themselves. As i type this iam fightening back tears and hope someone of u could pray for my father maybe by the power of praying it will help me and my family threw this very tough period. My dad has been a firemen for well over 30 years at columbus fire. Taught me everything i know about fishing and life. His name is Michael.

Thanks for your support.

2. I am sorry to hear about your father, your family will be in my prayers.

Kasting King

3. Your post sounds all too familiar to my situation a couple of years ago as my father was battling lung cancer as well. My prayers go out to you and your entire family. It is not an easy thing to cope with for anyone involved, your father or the rest of the family. At this time you need to rely heavily on family and your faith to get you all through this.

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Mike, I am saddened to hear this news and my heart goes out to you in your time of need. It's never easy to deal with situations like these, and words seem fruitless.

Please take comfort and pride in the fact that while I never met your father personally, he is someone I can respect and admire because I have met his son.

Be strong for your father and your family.

5. I spent 8 years watching as my wife lost her battle with breast cancer. I wish I could tell you something that would make this easier, but I cannot. I can only make two suggestions, one, if you are the caretaker, make sure you take care of yourself. It does the patient no good if the caretaker is tired and overworked. I would imagine that your family and his fire family are helping out. Two, your dad will always be around because you are part of him and he is part of you. I think about my sweetie everyday and realize that the person I am now has grown and improved because of her.

There will come a day when you will remember the good times and smile. I know that it sounds impossible, but it will happen. One more thing. When people talk to you about closure, just smile at them and walk away - there is no such thing. Acceptance will come, but closure, not so much. In the future, you will go fishing again and it will be celebration of your dad. My thoughts are with you and yours.

6. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

Thanks everyone makes me feel alot better. Yes i have taken up the role as caretaker for him and do everything he used to for the house. Iam also a single father so its tough. Doctors are going to begin treatments on him soon but i hear it can make u alot sicker before it gets any better.

I decide to join a group that helps promote non- smoking. My dad was a smoker until this happened and now is trying his hardest to quit to give himself a chance at rebounding.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

sorry to hear about your dad and i will say a prayer for him.

8. You and your Pops will both be in my prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. There are several cancer forums that you can tap into to help find out more information about what you are dealing with. If you are like me you will want to know as much about the cancer and the meds as you can find out and I found these forums a great source for just that.

This one is for cancer in general.

Cancer Forums

I found this one more helpful for specifically lung cancer.

Lung Cancer Support Community

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

My prayers are with your family.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

my thoughts are with you and your family,mike.

12. Just went thru it w/my Mom last year.
    You have my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck on the treatments.

Capt Hook

13. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

I'm also praying for you and your whole family. WB

14. Remember, you aren't alone. Teach your children well and become an example for them to follow. I will pray for you and your family.

15. Good point about the children. It is very difficult to explain these things to children but I urge you to do so if your kids are more than say 5 years old. Let the kids spend as much time as possible with their grandfather. It will mean a lot to your father and it will create memories for them to cherish. Children are indeed great therapy in these times.

16. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I have walked in your shoes. The walk is not an easy one. Be there for your Pops. Support him. Don't let him shut you out of his life, sometimes that happens. Our prayers go up for your family.

17. Lost my pop 12 years ago when he was 55 to a rare form of cancer. I think about him each day and thank God that he taught me all the things he did. I giggle each time I catch a fish on a rubber worm, cause he was great at that and I could never get the hang of it when I was a pup.

On fathers day this past year I returned to our favorite spot after not going back there for 30 years and caught the biggest bass of my life. It was special. So is the time you have now with your dad. Cherish the days he has left and learn as much as you can. He will be greatful to you for your help and intrest in him.

Good luck and God bless.

18. Mike, although we have had our differences believe me when I tell you that you, your pops, and your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am sorry you have to go through this.

19. My father had lung cancer with treatment and the grace of God we had him for another 15 years, hang in their you guys will be in our prayers.

20. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

Thanks Randy that means ALOT!!! and to everyone else who offered there support. My dad also extends his thanks. ;) Keep u posted on his condition hopefully with treatment he be able to be normal agian.