my pond

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by WISH IT WAS YOU, May 21, 2008.

1. well i hit my pond last night with the 6 wt fly rod and caught about 20 crappys a couple gills and missed a few perch all fish came on the muddler minnow but i have a ? do any of you have problems hooking the crappys i had about 40-50 crappys inhale my fly and when i set the hook it flew out of their mouth
    but like idk what i did wrong can anyone help me out on this ohh yea i missed a nice white bass because of this too biggest crappy went 13 1/2 most were like 9inchs gills were nice though like 8 inchs

2. Utard

Utard

I guess that is why they call em 'paper mouths.' The sking around their mouths is thing and tears very easily. Luckily I have never lost a crappie I had on, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. The key a good firm hook set, but don't rip it like those dudes on the fishing shows that act like they're trying to pull down a train with their hook set. :)

3. Just a nice, easy "strip set" on those crappie will be fine....just an easy strip of the line while "lifting" the rod...no "jerk" necessary. I have no problem setting the hook on crappie, gills, bass, cats, etc.
    Mike

4. I agree, I fnid that they are generally energetic enough on the take that all you have to do is hold on...no jerk set necessary

5. thxs i did kind set the hook a little hard i guess but i will try a more settal set

6. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

haha you were rippin lips!

7. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Perfctly Said! It took me awhile to get that BASS style mentality out of my system.