Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I caught my first of what I consider a good flathead. Good as in size that is! I have caught a few around 10- 15 pounds before, but mostly by luck. I have really just started to target flatties this year, so I was excited when I landed this one. I have had a few on that gave a hell of a fight, but this one I got to land! He/She weighed in at almost 30 pounds and was 37 1/2 inches long. I used my mom's digital cam to get a pic. It is unreal how much of a difference it makes between looking at the pic and looking at the fish itself. I did let the fish go. I held it in the water and made sure it was going to make a strong get away before I let it go. I have always had respect for these big cats. (Well 30 is pretty big to me!) but now that I landed a biggun, I have a whole lot more respect for them. Can't wait to go again tonight. Yes it was on rod and reel not lines for anyone who asks!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,617 Posts
Good deal !!! I know you are thrilled. Aint a darn thing wrong with a 30. Alot of guys never catch one that size. CATKING :)

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Thats a great fish, glad to hear ya returned it to the water. I've put in my fair share of time flathead fishing and have never caught one that big.

·
Cats are where it's at!
1,497 Posts
Rock

Congratulations on the big flathead!

The pix were pretty dark but if I were forced to guess I would say that was a male.

Glad to here you released the fish. Next time you encounter him he could be 60 pounds!

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
nice catch.a big atta boy for the catch,along with the release :cool:

·
CJ Cat Attack Pack
1,802 Posts
Nice Flathead there Rockbass, keep it up, you need that one for the Tappen tournament, I'll take a 30# anytime good job....Doc

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all of you guys. I am very excited that I caught one this big. Like I said, I just started fishing for flatties this year really. I have had a few on that were big, but they turned out to just be the one that got away!

I know the pics were dark, but hey, it was dark out and the camera's flash can only do so much! Maybe I shoulda put him in thne bathtub to get a pic! :p

I know I need one like that for the tourney's Doc. My luck is not that good though! Never know though!

Thanks again guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts