Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I caught a 28.5" carp on the fly, it was my best yet. That PB fell this most recent Saturday at the same lake, again in my kayak. I was field testing a new fly I came up with and I think it worked.

Saw the backing for the first time ever in the kayak

Action shot

Mouth full of deer hair

Hawg Trough goes to 30"

Next to the 7wt

If you look close enough you may find some beauty in these beasts.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I'm no carp fisherman but have caught inflight to know that they are a magnificent fight, especially when you are not fishing (and therefor prepared) for them. The fish are great catches and I would love to catch some the same size.

That being said I'm also not a fly fisherman so I don't know all the ins and outs of landing fish on a fly; but I cannot imagine landing such big fish and taking "action shots" the way I have to take pictures! Great job there as well!

Tight lines!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no carp fisherman but have caught inflight to know that they are a magnificent fight, especially when you are not fishing (and therefor prepared) for them. The fish are great catches and I would love to catch some the same size.

That being said I'm also not a fly fisherman so I don't know all the ins and outs of landing fish on a fly; but I cannot imagine landing such big fish and taking "action shots" the way I have to take pictures! Great job there as well!

Tight lines!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{
Haha, the reason I will take pics during the fight on carp is that they practically never come unbuttoned. Their mouths being rubbery make the hooks stick like glue. I don't know that I have ever had one just "come off." Break offs yes, hooks coming loose no. They are a whale of a battle on the fly, a truly addictive species.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
That's another BEAUTY or a BEAST,depends on how you look at it :) At your current rate of size increase {2'' per week} you should see a 50 inch fish some time in late Sept :D. I bet that thing took you on a RIDE ! Congrats on a great fish . good luck

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is awesome! I watched those beasts swim under my popper all weekend. How do you entice them to bite?
They feed mostly subsurface. Exceptions would be on mulberries, cicadas (2016 is going to be a heck of a year :)), and when they are fed by people. Most of the flies I use are critter flies that could look like a number of things. A craw, damsel or dragon fly nymph, leech, maybe a small minnow...get it down and try to hit them in the face with it. They don't tend to chase much here, I hear Lake MI fish will. I usually cast well past them then strip the fly close to them and let it drop. If they see it and are feeding, they will usually go after it.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With PB increases like that, you are going to need a bigger kayak. I have never fly fished for carp, I need to give that a try someday. Do you site fish them or just cast into carp-y areas?
All sight fishing. You have to get the fly so close to their face that blind casting would be nearly impossible. They don't see well, nor do they chase a fly much, which is why you have to almost put the fly in their mouth for them. Shallow muddy/silty flats in local lakes are where I find most fish, and feeder creeks that dump into lakes also have them. Ponds, rivers, lakes, you name it, they can be there.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nice catches! How is water looking after the rains? Might want to check out sections of lake Logan for bigger carps.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
nice carp ! i can't get'm to eat the damn fly ! i sight fished them 2 days at Saltfork and zero !
Well sometimes that will happen but just by watching them without fishing for them and gather up what they are doing and go from there. Match the hatch can be the key. Many times they know you are there and can be ignoring you altogether. Don't be afraid to try something totally different like a dry fly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The personal best fell again! This time in surprisingly large style. I boated a 34" monster yesterday morning...after boating another 30" fish. Pics to come Monday.
That 50" fish may be sooner than September. :D
Now trade that 7wt for a 3wt and the record may last longer. :eyeroll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts