Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well bought this baby a few weeks ago not much for dodge but i really like it power everything 2000 Dakota quad cab 5.9 V-8 :) (picked the perfect time for that 5.9 with $3.00 at the pumps huh?) but i love it anyway

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
I just had to put my Ram in the shop today. Everytime I would tilt the steering wheel down to drive it, the fan for the heater/AC would turn off. Tilt the wheel up all the way (you can't drive it like that) and it would come on again.

Well, they just called me and said it needs a new wiring harness and ignition switch. $310.00.

Oh Well. So much for NOT buying the extended warranty on all the little things. I am a jerk. They wanted 1300 bucks when I had 35,000 miles on it and now they want 2400 bucks with 41,000 on it.

Buy yourself an extended warranty on all the small things.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had to put my Ram in the shop today. Everytime I would tilt the steering wheel down to drive it, the fan for the heater/AC would turn off. Tilt the wheel up all the way (you can't drive it like that) and it would come on again.

Well, they just called me and said it needs a new wiring harness and ignition switch. $310.00.

Oh Well. So much for NOT buying the extended warranty on all the little things. I am a jerk. They wanted 1300 bucks when I had 35,000 miles on it and now they want 2400 bucks with 41,000 on it.

Buy yourself an extended warranty on all the small things.

yeah i put new pads on the front and rotors on it still need to get back pads now they squeek pretty bad

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
yeah i put new pads on the front and rotors on it still need to get back pads now they squeek pretty bad
usually. After new pads sometimes they squeek till they fit into the grooves.

My truck needs pads on the front and I HATE to pay the dealer $185.00 to just put pads on. $65.00 an hour labor. I don't know how to do it myself:eek: . I know it is very easy. I watched a friend of mine in Florida put front pads on an Oldsmobile I had then in less than an hour. I had the wheels all pulled for him and up on a jack. I was amazed. I couldn't learn how then because he went to fast:( . If someone showed me, then I could learn how. I can buy the good pads for $24.00 from NAPA, and a bottle or 2 of brake fluid.

:eek: I could buy a pizza if someone wants to show me how to do it before I get the elbow operated on this coming Tuesday the 22nd?

Steve

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
You can fix alot of stuff for $1300. With extended warranties I feel like I betting against the vehicle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good thing you bought a 2000. 1999 and below are known for problems. Especially transmissions. I have a 98 and I know :mad: Even though it has cost me an arm and a leg I love it though! Can't beat the power it has for a mid size truck!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Steve, Go to Auto Zone and get a Chilton's repair book on your truck. They are very well written. It will take you step by step on how to do any repairs on the truck. I got a book on both 4wheeles, the Exploder and they help allot.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
nice lookin truck. i had a 98 Dakota Reg cab. Loved that truck! Never ever had a problem with it. Just changed the oil and tires. Would still have it but a women turned right in to me. Now I have a 98 dodge ram diesel. :)

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Steve, Go to Auto Zone and get a Chilton's repair book on your truck. They are very well written. It will take you step by step on how to do any repairs on the truck. I got a book on both 4wheeles, the Exploder and they help allot.
My fishing buddy and best friend, Wayne came over and he put them on for me. I tried to help as much as I could but that was useless with this bad elbow.

Also, I saw how simple it really was. Next time I will do it myself for sure. But nothing like a best friend there when you need them.

NickRummy, Darn it man you're killing me. That boat is gorgeous. Simply beautiful man.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just did the brakes on my truck. If you do a lot of hauling you might want to look into the summit racing drilled/slotted rotors and a really good set of semi metallic pads. (don't run ceramics with these rotors) It REALLY helped with the brake fade on my truck towing my boat and stopping on long hills.

Another good manual to check out are the Haynes manuals. I have had those for every vehicle I've owned. I get them at Autozone.

Thanks for the boat compliment!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had a 99 Dakota sport, 318, 4x4. Unbelievable truck Not a single problem. Traded up to a 3/4 cummins now but still miss my dakota. You won't be sorry!

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
The pictures in the link that you supplied are fantastic. Are you a professional photographer? If not brother, then you should send some of these to Life magazine and Time and all the rest. I'm serious. They are fantastic.

Congratulations. Now let me see more pictures of THE BOAT man. Darn, that is beautiful. Like looking at an old Mahogany model Chris Craft Runabout.

We would sand it EVERY year and re-qualk and paint it too. EVERY YEAR. We had to with it being in the saltwater for 5 months of the year.

·
Registered
371 Posts
there's a simple solution to all those petty expensive dodge repairs.......buy a chevy! :p . might pay a little more in the beggining but they have great resale value and the only common problem is the fuel pumps. i have had mine for 30k miles (now has 105k on it) and haven't had the first problem other than doing the rotors which could pretty much be expected on any vehicle. even that was only $300 for all four and pads since i did it myself. those chilton manuels are great too. i used mine almost weekly when i owned a ford :p

·
Registered
871 Posts
I replaced my 98 5 spd dakota with a '04 4X4 a couple months ago. I almost went for the quad cab V8 but found a club 2 years newer w/ a 6 for cheaper. At the time I wanted the 6 for the gas even though it's not much better. Now my commute is all of 4 miles and a tank lasts me 2 weeks. Gas is still under $3/gal out here in New England too....:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts