Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after driving myself insane i couldn't bring myself to spend 190 bux so i instead opted for the $99 cabela's brand rod/reel combo in a 8wt size. it comes with line leader backing and a large arbor reel with disc drag with a cork washer. also comes with a rod and reel case and a video on how to fly fish.
I know name brands are the so called best around and i should of prolly saved up for one instead but I figured if this can last me a year or 2 I can get a great rod if I get better at fly fishing. so anyone try one of these poles? the reviews are good and the one review that sold me was the one where the guy says he fishes for atlantic salmon and catches 20+ pounders and they run 100 yards and his rod/ reel held up great. well hope it works good enough for me and at least a season of steelie fishing! might use it for bass and blue gill even tho they are over powered by it. i still got my $20 martin 6 wt i can use for the blues. just scared to hook into something big with it. it doesn't have any drag system but your palm!!! here is the website and the combo. hell if the combo doesn't work i got a rod and reel bag at least lol. Cabela's Fly-Fishing Combos

·
Registered
371 Posts
i started with a cabelas three forks 6wt. i would reccomend it to anyone. i beat the crap out of it as anyone will when they are getting into fly fishing and it served its purpose well. i stuck with it for 2 yrs then upgraded to a sage DS2 7wt with an Orvis Battenkill large arbor reel. the major difference is in the weight of the rod. my new combo is amazingly light. its almost like its not even there and the rod allows for further, smoother casts. those are the main differences. its not like a more expensive rod is going to catch you more fish but it does allow you to fish a lot more comfortably.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not to worry. That rod will last you more than a year or two. You may decide you want a lower weight for smaller fish down the road. Or something different for special occasions. But for steelhead, carp, and bass, it will serve you well. Just because a rod costs more or less does not mean it will catch more or fewer fish. A more expensive rod may cast better like duckdude says, but they also say casting takes a day to learn, a lifetime to perfect. You will know when you are ready for a new rod. And by then you´ll be in a better position to judge what works for you, based on where you fish (rivers or streams) and what you fish for most often. For example, if you find yourself fishing for bluegill a lot, you may decide to go ultralight down the road.

My advice is to save your $$ and enjoy your fly rod for a season or two. Unless you make 6 figures a year or just won the lottery, of course :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
In my opinion, it's a great combo. I've caught lots of steelheads and bass on it without any significant problems. One pointer though: the 8 weight rod is a bit stiff, so set your drag relatively loose, keep your rod tip up, and let the fish make its initial run before you tighten the drag.

Good luck,
jm

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cool thanx for the tip. good to kno it will work.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got my combo in the mail today! looks awesome! nice looking combo black rod/reel with a nice hard case and sock and free dvd on fly fishing. all in all looks like a good deal. seems pretty lightweight also. i figured a 8wt would be really heavy. plus it comes with a pretty nice looking large arbor reel! . one plus is that it didn't come all strung up already. it was all seperate.that means i get to practice my knots! i just tied a new leader on my 20 dollar combo using a nail knot with a straw. just a little difficult at first but only cause my finger would cramp up a lil. finally got it i think! now i get to try the arbor knot and the albright and another nail knot! i've already got the improved clinch down so i am good there. can't wait to try her out!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts