My New Computer

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Ruminator, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

WooHoo!

I built my own computer a week ago with a friends help after I selected and ordered all of the components!
    Its sweet to be using one that I built from scratch, what a thrill! :D
    Its not a gamer, but its no slouch and more than I actually need for future upgradability.

Its description:

Mid-tower: Ultra X-Blaster Mod Case
    Power Supply: PC Power&Cooling Silencer 610W
    Harddrive: Seagate 80G SATA 3.0
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe - nForce 570 series
    Graphic Card: MSI GeForce 8500GT - 512 MB, PCIE-16
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7 GHz dual core processor, 65nm, 65 watt (low power consumption)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 -800 Dual Channel 1Gb X 2 [sweet looking LEDS!]
    Optical Drives: Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive 20X , Sony CD Rewritable Drive 16X
    Case fans: Scythe S-Flex 120mm, Sony Fluid Drive bearings(150,000 hrs.) - front and rear

What a rush! :cool:

2. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Nothing like building your own 'puter. I think when my taxes come in, I'm going to build me another one and hand this one down to the youngsters.

Congrats and Enjoy.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Rumi, you are hearby officially awarded your nerd pocket protector.

Congrats.

4. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Gratz, sounds like a nice rig you put together...

Do you play some of the high end (require good specs) mmo's or PC games? You'll be able to run anything out there.

5. That computer will serve you well, and congrats on "rolling your own". You might have just opened pandora's box...

I'm a hardware geek so just for the sake of discussion, for others who may be considering building their own, I've got a couple of points of interest:

• Where did you buy you hardware?
    • That PC Power and Cooling PSU that you used is great quality, but was enormous overkill, and quite pricey. That rig would be fine with a Fortron/Sparkle 350 watt ATX 2.0 PSU. For those on a budget, (or even not), Sparkle/Fortron make high quality, reasonably priced PSUs. Any PSU with dual 12v rails, (i.e. ATX 2.0 spec) of 300 watts or so is perfectly suitable for a web browsing machine.
    • Why did you go with an 80GB HD when 300GB are super cheap too (especially considering you overspent like crazy on that PSU?)

Also, not to be too critical, but...

Not with an 8500GT, he's not...The 8500GT is a great low-end HTPC card, and MORE than adequate for Ruminator's usage, but it is in no way, shape or form, a gamer's card.

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thanks guys. :D

COmmodore 64(wish I could remember your name ;)) , all of your points are spot on.
    I'll explain.

I shopped around and ended up buying from newegg everything but the case(tigerdirect), and the DVD drive(local store).
    Newegg.com has a forum site called eggxpert.com that you will find my footprints all over in their forums for the past number of weeks. ;)
    In addition I read reviews and information at a few other good sites that you would know of like tomshardware.com, silentpcreview.com, etc.

- I knew that my choice of power supply was overkill compared to immediate need; that is one piece that is planned to last for future upgradeability, its dependability is superior, and its one that is energy efficient as well being rated at 80+ % efficient(tested at 83%). So I will get my initial investment back in reduced electrical use over time compared to a psu that is less efficient.
    Plus, as you probably know, a power supply only produces the wattage required at the time, not its constant max. voltage. For these considerations I spent more of my budget here.
    How does the one that you cited rank?
    I also wanted a single rail design after finding out that multi rails have an inherent design that causes pockets of trapped electricity that reduces their energy efficiency. An example is the cpu allotment. Whatever voltage is not being used by it is lost to the rest of the system for usage.

- My 80G harddrive is still double what my old Dell had, and I'll add another later if I ever actually get to that point. I'm only using this pc for surfing and family digi camera storage. I'm not a big shutterbug so that will be moderate use at best.
    Keeping a budget of the $600.00 range in mind I exercised restraint from overkill here. I didn't see any major benefits in overkill that would make it worthwhile like in the power supply.
    I overshot the budget target with the unexpected DVD drive purchase due to my motherboards support disk coming as a DVD disk!? :rolleyes: Oops! Oh well...;)

And of course you are absolutely right, my 8500GT is a decent graphics card, but it would fail in CRYSIS and other games I'm sure. But this pc may never see a game played on it, though I have enjoyed some aerial combat games in the past which I think would do just fine with this card. If not, its upgrade time! Woot! :D

So keeping that budget in mind, traded off a better graphics card for now for the PSU I wanted. ;)

Pandora's Box is also spot on!! :C :D

7. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Dang, I guess the technology just keeps on cruising leaving me in the dust, I thought the 512mb cards were still on the higher end. With a new wave of games coming out this year I'll prolly have to upgrade then. :(