close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Minn Kota quit on me today!!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by AndroDoug, Jun 11, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

At a bass tourney today, my transom mount MK quit on me. It would not work for very long in the water. As soon as I raised it out of the water, it picked up to full speed. I could drop it back in while running it in the air and it would work for about 10-15 seconds, but then come to a slowing stop. Water also came out of the top plastic housing ( above water with the speed contols ) when I took the prop off to look at it. I have no idea how water got all the way up there. I assume that water is getting into the motor housing, although I thought it would short out if it ever did that.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I can fix it? Where would I get parts in the Akron area for that?

2. My bet is you got fishing line around the prop that worked its way into the seal and caused the seal to leak. This is a very common problem and the reason why I check mine frequently. Mogadore bait and tackle is a Minn Kota service center.

3. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Thanks Larry. I did not know Mogadore B&T was a MK service center. Thing is, I DIDN"T have any line around the prop or in it. I too check it at least 3 times a year. It just all of a sudden, in the middle of the tournament started doing this. I have never had this problem with any motor I have owned, so I am unfamiliar with it. It just seemed to me, since it IS an electric motor, hooked to a big battery, it would short out or spark or something, if water was getting in. It would run fine out of the water, and as soon as I dropped it back in the water, but after a little bit, it would die like a struggling car engine trying to turn over. And it was making funny sounds and vibrating lurches.

I wonder if I can get it fixed by myself with parts by tommorrow so I can go fishing?

4. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

Had the same problem last year, however water wasn't coming out the top. Removed prop and bolts that go through the cone. Pulled cone out far enough for water to come pouring out, gray and nasty....Friend resealed lower unit for 20 bucks. Parts were cheap from Kota.