Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior going into the armed services back in 1969. I had a bolt action that was custom built on an old Mauser action in 223. At the time I was big into varmit hunting especially groundhogs. Anyway also owned at the time a 220 Swift , 222 Remington and 22 hornet. I only shot factory ammo as at the time. I loaded for shotguns only. The old Mauser was accurate but not exceptionaly so.

When I was sent to weapons training in the service. I was issued a standard M-16 Colt ( Mattel Shooting Shell ). Although it shot well enough I was unimpressed. Going into combat with a varmit round was not a good idea to me. History has since proved me right in the first place. Most of serious combat shooters going back to larger rounds, Especially when instant kill shot are critical. Like in hostage rescue teams. When I turned in my 16 upon discharge from the military. I swore I would never shoot a 223 again and especially if it was a M16.

Fast forward to 2015 . That year made me a liar as I bought an AR15 and in 223. Despite my predjudice toward the 223 I had to give the devil its due. Brass is plentiful along with most other military rounds. Sizes and types of bullets are plentiful for the reloader. It is not super picky about which powder it is loaded with. I have several powders that work very well with it. While my AR 15 is plenty accurate I decided to purchase a 223 barrel for my Contender.

After a couple weeks of experimenting, I found that I had a helluva varmit gun. Almost with any reasonable powder bullet combo. I can hold a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. See pic below. First two shots out of the yellow 3/4 inch dot. Last three shots after adjustment to scope. Powder IMR 3130 , bullet 50 Grain Hornady Varmageddon. All different types of brass. Full length sized and light factory crimp.Add all this up and it makes adding a 223 to ones arsenal. Makes it a no brainer especially during this era of out of stock all the time. Chances are if you reload you can scrimp up a load that will do the same as mine.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I''ve heard nothing but good things about the Contender overall....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I love the round. It is very efficient. I have a Savage Model 10 that has killed many coyotes over the years. My favorite bullet in that gun is the Hornady 50 grain Vmax.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah , Smith and Wesson did not carry on Thompson Center's great customer service policy. Indeed they did everything they could to destroy that great reputation. Hopefully whatever new company assumes ownership. Will strive to restore what was lost.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Have always loved the 223 as a plinker and a varmint round, started years ago when I had a TCR-83, my favorite rifle is probably my Remington 700 VS in 223, easy to load for and it’s a blast to see your hits through the scope.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a huge fan of 223 . I'm shooting 335 and a 40grn ballistic tip out of mine . Beautiful little clover leaf groups at 100 and they are smoking . Varmints are vapor with this load . Plus hand loading several other bullet weights with equal results . What's not to love .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts