close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my latest shenanigans (mostly creek chub trapping)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Nov 10, 2008.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

im pretty new at this but this is pretty darn cool, and very easy. provided you have a creek nearby. this little creek is a very small feeder creek to Tinkers creek, which is a trib of the Hoga WAY downstream from me. all you need is a trap or two, some rope or string, and salvage some old stale bread from the trash.

i set this trap up in the morning after seeing some minnows in the water swimming around. i came back after about 5 hours to collect the loot. my name and address is on the string, which was tied to a branch.

Attached Files:

2. hardwaterfan

not much in that trap though, only 4 this time. i lined this trap with aluminum screen because the really tiny minnows can swim right through the sides of the trap.

Attached Files:

3. hardwaterfan

my other trap ready for checking. these things are cheap, like $7 or something.

Attached Files:

4. hardwaterfan

better luck in this spot, maybe 25 or so. i keep them in a large cooler, change the water weekly and feed them once a week with goldfish food. not one died of non-ice fishing causes last year. what was left at the end of the season, i released back into this creek.

Attached Files:

5. hardwaterfan

close up of a couple. the really big ones get tossed back right away. there was a micro-bluegill in there too, he got tossed back.

Attached Files:

6. HWF- To help your bait collection stay lively get a 110 v aerator. Get the kind that use a diffuser to make real small air bubbles. I keep my minnow supply in a small chest freezer. I don't plug it in just use it as a tank.

Trapping minnows is an ideal way to get the exact size you prefer for ice fishing. Rather than just settling for whatever the bait shops have.

7. hardwaterfan

yeah i had the shanty out already. i know its too early but you gotta check things out and make sure everythings ready to go. pretty neat though huh? i have two LED strips on the two front supports poles and i hung my battery lantern behind me. also have a headlamp. watch out crappie.

i made a hook for my light using the useless "support pole" that came with the Pro. i cut the plastic hook off the aluminum pole and drilled a hole through what was left of the plastic stub. then i reshaped (a little cuttin, a little bendin) a shower curtain hook, going through the drilled hole, and around the handle of the lantern. hangs up real nice and sturdy and just snaps off.

theres no real purpose to this thread, hope you guys get a kick out of the pics, and minnow trapping is pretty fun. try it.

Attached Files:

8. hardwaterfan

thats for sure. its nice to have a mix of sizes of the kinds you want. i also like never having to make a special trip to buy bait. im thinking about getting an aerator. im gonna try netting some shiners from Erie and im pretty sure those wont survive without it.