close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Girlfriends Biggest Smallie

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CPTN.CROWN, Jul 12, 2004.

1. I took my girlfriend for her mayden voyage in the Canoe. Hooked up with Harry1 and his buddy to float down the darby. We went to Trapper Johns, and they took us 5 miles upstream so we didnt have to bother with all the YAHOO'S ;) We were catching some smalll smallies 8-10 range. Fishin was pretty slow, and was supprised cause we were using soft crawls. We were half way done when she casted into a feeder creek. Im screwing around trying on a roadrunner and hear drag screaming. Look up and her 5'6 ultra light was doubled, then the fish jumped out of the water about 4 feet. We were all shocked. So i started telling her not to horse it etc.............. She looks like Roland Martin on the front of the boat. What ever way the fish was moving she was following. Keep in mind shes been fishing less than a dozen times. It seemed like 10 minutes and finally was able to net it. a 17" 11.5" girth 3.5lb smallie was in the net. Thats the best smallie ive seen out of that stretch of the creek. Man were we happy, for her to catch the biggest fish of the day, and her biggest fish shes ever caught. Now all i need to do is get Cole(baby cptn.crown) to get big enough to go out! :cool: :D :D Check out my website to see the pics.

http://members.fishingworks.com/tahoej77/index.cfm

They will also be on the ogf members galleries!

[​IMG]

2. Nice job on the smallies, that is a nice one for Darby. I just got one smallie about 14" but I did get the biggest sauger I've ever caught, it was almost 20". Caught the sauger on a case hellgramite and the smallie on a white twistertail.

How did ya like the canoe?

3. [​IMG]

Canoe is awesome. Really wide, with a smooth ride. :D

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I am looking to get a canoe, what kind did you get? I know Galyans has one I believe it is called a Pelican, for 299.00. But I am not sure what reputation it has or how well it will hold up. Any advice?

5. Old Town, and Mad River are the best. If you are fishing lakes that pelican can do it. But i wouldnt trade my oldtown ffor nothin!

6. THat is one heck of a smallmouth! Man, I can't wait to get into some smallie action! An added bonus is that it was an ultralight battle!

7. Old Towns are nice, my mom has one that I used to use before I got my own. I bought mine from Sams Club and its a Rogue River 14 footer with a 42" beam. Its great for creek fishing, it has 2 seats and the middle one has a built in cooler/storage and a dry lock storage compartment and 3 cup holders and even a place for the paddle. It was 299 and it came with the 2 paddles. I have had it about 5 years and dont know if Sams still has them but I love it. Cabelas had the same canoe for 499.

8. i recomend an old town or a mad river for rivers. for lakes the pelican will do. both the old town and mad river have a lot of secondary stability, ideal for rivers. the pelican has mostly primary stability, ideal for lakes. i have a mad river 14'7". it has a woven seat, and since their not molded the boat can be driven sitting either way. this is an advantage to me because the boss only weighs 105lbs. and i'm nearly 2 and a half times that. we usualy drive backward to off set the difference in size.

a word of warnning. CANOES ARE ADICTIVE.

any one out on the site interested in canoeing with the boss and i, we'd love it.

captain-c, your lady made us all look bad . she out caught us all.

9. Isnt that why they call them the "BETTER HALF" :confused: :cool: :D :D

We are up for it most of the time Harry, just got to make sure we can find a babysitter for Cole. ;)

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

thats a nice river smallie....jason..you need any navigator dood?? if so, let me know.. :D

11. catking

catking Banned

Very nice indeed !!!! Congratulations to your girl !!! THE CATKING !!! :)

12. If I caught 1 smallie a day like that I would be a much happier man. Nice fish!!!

13. Heres what sucks. She now thinks that she will catch one that big every where we go! :eek: Oh well this fish will get here thru couple more trips and hopefully we can get on some more fish like that. Was talkn to Trucked, he said him and wayne got couple 18-20"ers down below oshay. Might drop the canoe in a Leather Lips and paddle up stream. Got to be some nice unfished water up there! Probably going to go this weekend if anyone wants to join in :cool: