·
fishin is fun
729 Posts
Please learn the twist
YouTube or print
Simple and effective

You can't cut it close enough
Cut fingers will occur

1 thing i do is the leader is tied with polymer knot before I do the swivel to wire

If u do wire first you will have to do trident knot or etc

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good tip Eastside Al. I went out and put a Spro 50 lb test micro swivel on the end of each spool to test making the haywire twist by hand. They are not pretty but light in barn where boat is was not too good. I will have to cut these back off as the braid must have the palomar knot to hold unless I use a really big loop to tie it over the swivel and spool of wire as one unit. I used the bend back and forth technique to break the tag end off at the barrel wrap rather than cutting with shears. I did have one shear cut end from a failed try that I cut off to redo. And when cleaning up scrap ends that little bugger bit my thumb!

I have used improved clinch knot on my leaders to swivel or snap without issue, but since learning the palomar is simpler and stronger I use it now.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have used the Alberto knot for braid to mono/fluoro leader on my slide divers. Not too hard to tie and nice knot to go through line guides, so I will look at that. Do you just form a loop in the wire to tie the braid to? I was thinking part of the key with Alberto is how it bites into the heavy mono/ fluoro leader. Currently I plan to use Spro micro swivels on both ends of the wire. I hope I learn quickly how to bend break the tag wire off after barrel wraps. Clipping is quick but leaves very sharp cut end.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Gently grab the wire at 90 degrees to the wraps where you want the wire to break off and spin it around, it will break off. The trick is leave yourself enough tag end to work with.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks. I assume you cannot splice wire to remove a damage section? Or can you put a micro swivel in? Otherwise if near end you just shorten the wire? Or maybe most wrecks result in damaging entire section? I’m trying to figure out how much backup wire I need to carry. I will run the 2 wire rods on my side with 3 person crew- they will have 6 rods with dipseys and downrigger. I have 4-300ft spools of 15# test with another 600 ft of 12# test on order.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The issue with trying to splice together two sections of wire is you'll likely be in a rocking boat with half of it out in the water somewhere. Can it be done? Sure...but would you want to?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts