Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried wire yesterday out of Geneva with success. My set up was simple, braid backing, 250’ monel wire (which I found at a yard sale) , and 50’ floro leader….used this with a jr. Thunder stick. My process was to slowly feed out 400’.…so I had 100’ of my backing in the water. My thinking was this amount of backing would allow the wire to reach its full potential. I ran this straight out the back, with the rod tip as high as possible, which allowed me to fish my other setups underneath where the backing braid enters the water.

I was fishing in approx. 72 fow. Surprisingly, this set up pulled a fish on every set. But, I had difficulty determining when the bite occurred. I was somewhat able to tell a fish was on by picking up the rod, reeling in a bit, and feeling what I thought was the additional weight of the fish. I’m sure I drug a few of these fish for awhile.

So, my initial reaction to this set up was great. It caught fish, I didn’t have any tangles, but I couldn’t ID strikes. How are strikes detected with this set up? I’d also welcome comments/ suggestions on my set up as I’ll be refining this technique in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts