close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My First Pike :-)

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by Reel Lady, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Some of you have heard from me that I was on a "Big, Toothy Fish" Mission...
    Finally... it happened! Okay, maybe not so big.. but definitely "Toothy!" Here she is.. my first Northern Pike (from West Branch) :D I think she was about 17". All I have to say about Pike is that they are CRAZY! Talk about a solid mass of muscle.... whew!
    [​IMG]

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Reel

Good to see ya get your first Pike girl, CONGRATS!

<><Baitkiller><>

3. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Reel Lady, does your husband ever catch anything? All we ever see are pictures of you with fish. Are you trying to make him look bad? You're also the one who seems to give everyone advice.

4. Reel Lady

Whaler,
    I keep a detailed log of fish that I catch and I have photos of the fish as well. My goal is to catch every species of fish that is "catchable" out of each particuliar lake that we fish in. Rob's not so obsessed on keeping track of his fishing history :)
    So, to answer your question, of course he catches fish! Yes.. I do take some pictures of him with the some of the fish that he catches.. but trust me, that man is like speedy gonzalas when it comes to getting that fish back in the water. So by the time I manage to find the camera and get it turned on, that fish is already history :rolleyes: I'd never try to make him look bad intentionally, and trust me, there are many days that he is the one catching the fish... not me :eek: I just have been very lucky with the size of some of the fish that I have caught.
    As for the advice... well, I'm a woman and a mother.. therefore by default, I give advice :D At the same time, I am an avid reader and an "information hound"....To describe me as "curious" is putting it mildly. I love to learn... I love to share my knowledge with other eager minds.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Do you need a permit for that thing?? It looks like you're about to rob a bank with it..."Stick'em up cowboy" Get that boat away from the ramp now, or I'll let you have it ! ;)
    Semi-auto Pike....shoots 3 minnows a second.
    Makes a great picture for a caption contest...

6. Reel Lady

Mr. Fish Ohio... oh my gosh, you got me cracking up over here! Seriously.. you are too funny :D
    I have to tell you... those fish are darn near impossible to hold! It seemed that no matter how I was holding it, it managed to escape my grip! I definitely need some lessons on the proper and SAFE way to hold these fish :eek: Those teeth are just a little bit intimidating :B :eek:

7. If you're not comfortable with your hand inside the gill plate (like me), get yourself a boga or something similar. I have a Rapala, it's not as good as a true boga, but they're like 1/2 the price plus it has a 50# scale. If you get one make sure you get one with a handle that can turn. Once you get a fish that decides he wants to twist your arm off boatside, you'll appreciate the turning handle. Couple other toothy tools that are good to have would be long handle needle nose pliers, mouth spreader and hook(bolt) cutters. Don't ever bring a pike/muskie into your boat with hooks still in the mouth. They will thrash pretty violently and someone will likely get hooked. Unhook them in the net, then bring the fish into the boat.

Be carefull, or you'll find yourself addicted.... For me nothing beats watching a bucktail running just below the surface when your eye catches a second wake following it while trying to keep your cool only to have the water explode at your feet when the strike occurs. Or as seems to happen to me alot, miss the hooket that close up and have to dodge flying trebble hooks lol.

Went out to my local river for an hour Saturday evening and got two right before a storm blew through. Went back out today had 5 followers, one hook up and one spit bait. Suprised me to see that many fish with the blue bird skies we had. Been seeing alot of people carting out 25-28" fish on stringers lately so I'm guessing the "local" fishery will be dead by the 4th of July.

Barry

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Those Pike, even smaller ones like that can destroy tackle! I love fishignf ro them up north, I have never caught a monster, allways small ones, but man after catching 5 or 6 in a row you might as well throw away the crankbait or spinner bait, sometimes they dont even last that long! They are a blast to catch.