close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first PIKE!... well almost

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Ranger4x4, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Well I got about a half hour of fishing in on the Chippewa creek Friday night. Mosquitoes convinced me to leave, and I didnt know if I would get kicked out fishing after dark where I was at. State highway patrol slowed down and gave me a look, probably ran my plates too but never said a thing. well anyway, I had caught one bowfin and a bullhead, and was reeling the line in after missing another hit. I had a large sinker on with a nightcrawler behind it and as I got it up close to shore a northern pike nailed it. I was so close to shore that when i set the hook it pulled him out of the water and onto the bank, but he came off. I couldnt get down to him, the banks are too steep, but I got a good enough look to know he was either a northern or a muskie, and my bets go to northern pike. Not really big but still exciting all the same. I'm gonna try to get back there tonight, and maybe I'll try the tusc. river/canal or whatever they call it up that far north.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Were you fishing where the tiles from the farmer's fields drain into the creek?
    Last time I was there was June and the drainpipe was underwater. The only way you could tell it was there was the clear water area where the creek was a chocolate color. That area's real good when the creek has low flow and the pipe is pouring the clear water in.
    I'll have to show you the tressel sometime soon. Bring your bug repellant.

3. Well I left the house at 6 to go back and try for another pike, there was 2 people fishing the north side so I parked at south side and fished for about ten minutes before the torrential rain hit. Oh well, the truck needed washed and I needed to buy some nightcrawlers for my usual thursday evening fishing. Yes I always try to put a line out near the drain that flows out, I would imagine the pike would like that area as the water should have more oxygen and be a lot colder than the rest of the area. The most interesting part is the two people across from me told me that they fish the area often and have seen a 4' muskie caught right there! Thats got me pretty excited, it takes me exactly ten minutes to get to this place from home. Well message me or email or whatever anytime you want if you want to meet out there or go to the trestle area you mentioned. I plan on going back probably tuesday night after work if weather allows. good fishing all