close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my first hook thru..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by exexec, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Yep - first time in life I finally put a hook thru my finger. It went under the skin, I cut it off and pushed the pointed end with barb thru. Hurt a bit but not too bad. My question is this - what are my chances of infection-I need to be careful not get any as I heal from those with a great deal of difficulty. I have kept antibiotic cream on it since I got home and the entry points look good but it has some swelling. I need to make a "doctor ' decision before tomorrow. Thanks

2. #1 I am not a doctor, just a guy who hurts himself A LOT.

When was you last tetanus shot? If less than 5 years you may wanna get one.

Dunk that sucker in some isopropyl alcohol for a minute or two (OUCH) then slather it with triple antibiotic cream (non expired) and cover with a band aid until healed.

If you have potentially serious problems with infection I would think a doctor visit is not impredent however.

3. I would just keep putting peroxide on it.When the last time you had a tetnes shot?

4. I'm with the rest of the opinions. Call Doc, see if he recommends a tetanus shot.

Tetanus

Overview

Tetanus, commonly known as lockjaw, is a serious and potentially fatal disease that occurs when bacteria enter the body through a wound. Tetanus bacteria are found in soil and in the intestines and feces of animals and humans. Tetanus is not spread from person to person. While most people associate tetanus with stepping on a rusty nail, many other things can cause tetanus. You may be surprised to learn that you can get tetanus after surgery, burns, puncture wounds (such as a needle stick), crush wounds (such as a brick falling on your hand), ear infections, dental infections, animal bites, body piercing, and tattoos.

Tetanus can be prevented by immunization. However, the protection provided by the vaccine series given to infants wears off over time. It is important for adolescents to receive a tetanus booster at 11 or 12 years of age (as long as 5 years have passed since the previous immunization). After that, everyone should get a booster every 10 years

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

execexec...I've done that more times than I'd like to admit, and found that pouring an ice cold Heineken on it does the trick. Helps to have a dozen of them in you first, but that's not mandatory.

No scars on any of them either. One more reason to always have a beer handy ;)

6. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

You waste good Heineken on a little cut :D I got a bottle of peroxide I'll trade ya for your Heineken before you go and do that again :D

7. Stopped at my doc's office. He said it looks like NO infection but did insist on the tetanus shot-which I politely refused as I am scared to death of needles. But I have another appointment on tues and I think I'll get it then, after I drink the 12 or so Heineken's!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

hope your finger doesn't fall off, you might need it someday.

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

GET THE SHOT!!! I run hooks in me every year, in fact two times already this year. I just go about every five years and get another. Hey look at it this way at least your good for another 5 years :D