close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first flathead...

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by soua0363, Aug 27, 2005.

1. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Last night, 8/25, I caught my first flathead at Miami Whitewater. It was weird on how I caught it. I was bottom fishing using slip sinkers and a 3"-4" shiner. I threw it out and let it sit for about an hour not touching it while I fish for crappies. Well after catching an 8lbs. drum and a 10" crappie I was starting to give up and was going to relocate my catfish line. I started to reel in my line but it wouldnt come in. It felt like it was stuck on a log or something so I started walking backwards and pulling hard on the line and yet whatever was on the other in started coming in so I yanked on the rod hard and nothing happened. Not even a tug on the other in. I just kept pulling and reeling it in and half way in, it started to fight and thats when I realized a have big fish on the other end. It started to swish and splash and bending my rod over fighting hard. Fought and fought and then a 2 boys came over with their net and netted him out. Turned out my "log" was a 21 lbs flathead. :D I was so surprised because a fish of that size would of swam off after inhaling the bait but it didnt. It just sat there until I started pulling him in.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Nice going on your first flathead!

3. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

good job on your first flathead. I remember my first flathead, i to thought i was snagged until i yanked and he took off ripping out drag.

4. yep that happens one night fishin with team tory he caught one just like that didnt no he had one till he was reelin his pole in and notice the line up to the bank and the flathead went into a hole in the bank and we had to pull him out. caught 3 flatheads that night but that was the weirdest one.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Way to go on the first, expeically one that size.

6. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Thank you to all. I went out again Saturday night (8/27) and hooked something big on shiner. I dont know if what as a cat or a turtle. I started to run and I set the hook as hard as I could and the rod doubled over and was pulling line out like crazy. It felt bigger and stronger than the 21 pounder. I had it halfway in and the hook popped out somehow. Needless to say I was pretty pee'd off. Hopefully, I will run into again or he into me.

7. OhioAngler1

OhioAngler1 Ohio Angler

Hell yeah, bud... right on... Congradulations on your first flathead. Cant complain too much by catching one over 21lbs for your first fish.. I dont complain when I catch one over 15, and Ive been catching them for years lol.. Again Congradulations...

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

AWESOME FISH !!!! i have alot of flatties pick up the bait and drop alot of slack in and never really run with the bait. most of the time they just eat the bait and lay there or come straight into the bank. i bet the fish tory caught was on the tusc huh ducky ?? they do that all the time to me too. :D