close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first eye of the year!!..... uh-not quite

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fishzilla, May 29, 2004.

1. Started out on Darby today. Water was a little stained but the level was good, so I was optimistic. I, of course, then got skunked. Decided to pack up and hit the Scioto honey hole. Water was up and a little muddy but was much better than I had thought it would be. First cast caught a rock bass that had some serious health issues then was quiet for 2 hours until finally I hooked one, or so I thought. Hit like a good sized eye, don't horse it I say to myself. Get the net and bring him up and what do I see? The ugliest flathead I have ever seen. :( 20" baby had brown and black splotches all over him. Turned him loose and packed it in. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

You dont need to give the EXACT location of your "Honey Hole" but in what strecth of the scioto did you catch the flathead? I.E. Oshay-Griggs....Griggs To 5th ave. etc. I have never caught a flathead....but I have always dreamed about it....They seem to be very rare in the scioto and catching one there is something to be proud of....And if you manage to find some of the naturally occuring muskie...that is something to brag about.

3. A little north of the confluence area is where acklac. I suppose I would have bragged a little and maybe even needled DA KING if I had not caught it on a saugeye lure.

4. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

my dreams came true....got a 11lb flathead today....I love em! I think there beautiful in there own way!

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I consider the flathead the most beautifull fish that swims in ohio's waters!

6. Far be it for me dispute the beauty of the flathead. The colored splotches on it and overall darkness actually resembled a few saugeye I've pulled out of there. I always figured it was because they spent too much time on the bottom. I in no way meant to impune the beauty and natural wonder of the flathead catfish! :p :)

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

They are fun when caught unexpected like that. I catch them trolling for eye's occasionally. Sometimes on purpose with bait is fun too. ;)

8. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

mr flathead

Attached Files: