close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first boating mistake

Discussion in 'OGF Comedy Corner' started by mkatts, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Well this is my third year boating and I have managed my first mistake. It's kinda funny now that I am safe on land. AT the time I was pretty pissed at myself.

Late last year my steering cable locked up on my 17' bass boat. I bought a new cable and helm kit and installed it in October. The temperature dropped fast and I didn't get to put it in the water until today. So I backed the boat into the water, fired it up, pulled the trailer out and parked. All fine. My wife was in the boat waiting for me. I came back, hopped on board. Untied the lines and put it in reverse. I have had a bit of a hard time learning to back up straight but today was very bad. I felt like a drunken idiot. Luckily the dock was empty except for me. I finally cleared the dock, put it in forward and turned the wheel to the left...

THE BOAT TURNED RIGHT!!!!!

I looked at my wife and she is staring back at be like I'm a moron. Well I am but that's besides the point. She asked why I turned back towards the dock. I said I didn't I turned left! Mt steering was comletely backwards!

I have been waiting to go fishing for the past 3 weeks. Had to buy a new trolling motor, water pump, fish finder and clean up some wiring. Then wait for clear weather. So I just trolled just above idle to my fishing spot. If there had been anyone at all out there, I would have just came back in, but it was pretty empty. I just used the trolling motor the rest of the day. We finished back at the dock so no harm done. We got home, I pulled the helm apart. I installed it just like the directions said. I still have the directions. It shows the rack on the bottom side of the helm. I flipped it over to the top side and everything in fine.

I have never felt like Tim the Tool Man Taylor in my whole life!!!

Hopefully that will be the worst stupid thing I ever do on the water.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you should get some kind of award for making it 3 years,LOL.
    most people i know,especially me :rolleyes:have at least one of those moments(usually more) every year ;)
    don't count on that :D
    even if it is the "worst",odds are,it won't be the "last" :D ;)

glad you got the problem fixed,though,and hopefully the next trip wil go smooth.

3. yea, I know they are coming, just hoping nothing ever serious. Took her back out this morning with no problems, other than I didn't catch anything but weeds and branches. :(

4. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

No your first boating mistake was buying a boat. ;)
    Boat definition: A hole in the water that you throw lots and lots of money into! But it sounds like your already finding that out.
    Gota love it :)

5. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Mkatts, your only mistake was taking your wife aboard your boat. Don't you know that women are bad luck aboard boats? You're lucky that was the only problem you had. Count your lucky stars! Ha Ha

6. That was your first mistake using the directions! :p