close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my favorite cornbread

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by misfit, Mar 14, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

mix up a box of jiffy cornbread mix per instructions.
    add a half can of whole kernel corn,(or creamed corn for moister cornbread).
    stir in big handful of crumbled cooked sausage(i like jimmy dean or bob evans sage flavor).
    bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.
    smother with homemade sausage gravy and top with a couple fried eggs for great tasting breakfast:)

2. hey can you make that for around 100 people and bring it to turtlcreek april 18>...say around 6:00am??? sounds good to me!!!:D

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.i might have to come up the night before and make it on site,so it's still hot for serving:D

4. rick since you seem to be the head chef of the ogf kitchen..........the best corn bread i ever had was at a bbq place called burbanks real bbq.......they said they used vinnalla pudding in the mix......awsome.........i dont have a recipe but maybe you can fiugure it out..........mid

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

now that sounds good.i'll have to see if i can come up with a version of my own.

6. CAN'T wait for this one. I'm ready for a new one. I've made about 10/15 different methods for Corn Bread but am never satisfied. I'm always looking for that one special one to savor.

One thing tho, I always use a small cast iron pan (6" across) to bake. Never a loaf pan or anything bigger. Just a personal quirk.

Did hear of a good one the last week, that one should try Sour Cream for liquid, or real 1/2 & 1/2 blah blah blah, but don't have it down pat yet only foolin with the mixture.
    OHHHHH I HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS THAT SPECIAL FORMULA

Here is what I got so far:
    1 1/2 cups cornmeal
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 scant teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sour cream
    1 can (approx. 15 ounces) cream-style corn
    3 eggs
    6 tablespoons butter, melted

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that one sounds good,nickster.and iron is the way to go.
    i also think i found a close recipe to that burbank's bread.
    calls for vanilla pudding and believe it or not..........red pop(cream soda):D
    gotta try now,just out of curiosity,LOL.

8. sounds good rick but i can't hardly stand jiffy mix..too sweet or something. here's one i use

1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup yellow cornmeal ( i prefer the coarser, stone ground kind)
    1 tblsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup melted shortening or cooking oil
    1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 8 oz can cream corn
    1 4 oz can chopped mild green chilies

in medium bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. set aside
    In another bowl beat together the eggs, buttermilk and metled shortening or oil. add to the flour mixture and stir just until the batter is smooth.
    fold in the cheddar cheese, cream corn and green chilies.
    spread the mixture in greased 9x 9 x2 inch baking dish or better yet, a 9" cast iron skillet. bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. you may substitute shredded Gruyere cheese or Pepperjack as well.

9. please let me know how it turns out rick.......i would love that recipe........like i said it was the best........thanx again......mid

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

will do.he red pop sounds interesting,so i gotta try it:D

11. ok then misfit....the crappie outing will be a fine time to test your cooking abilities!!!!!LOL!!! over easy for me!!!!:p man you make me hungery!!!:) as a mod can you do scratch and sniff pics!!!!LOL!!!

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D :D i'll work on that.

btw,i just finished a batch of cornbread based on that burbanks stuff(with a twist,lol).i'll post my recipe in a new thread.