close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My engine woes

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Let me first say that my engine is running fine. I have a Johnson 48 SPL, which is giving me some new issues.

When I headed over to East Fork on Friday, I was taking the transom saver off before putting in. I unfortunately do not have a hydraulic jackplate, so I still have to manually lift and lower the motor. As I unlocked the engine with the lever, I could tell something wasn't quite right. The problem appears that the lever does not fully lock or unlock the mecahnism that holds the engine in the upright position or in the lowered position.

The engine can be lifted with the lever in either locked or unlocked position. The problem only really rears its ugly head if you try to use reverse. When you throttle up, since the motor is not locked down, it will rise up at off the water. Any one hjave this problem and know how to fix it?

I will post pics of the mechanism to give everyone a clue what the problem is.

Eric

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i am pretty sure it is only a spring actuated hook that lock it on to the bar for height adjustment. look under the motor and check for a bent hook or broken spring. you prolly hit a bump and bent/broke /lost something

3. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

I think there is an adjustment that lets you hook around the rod --gives the hooking rod more of a turn

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Might be a pin too. I had a cotter pin fall out & cause problems. Just check the whole thing close, maybe clean & lubricate it too. Might have some debris caught in it, like a small stick or grass or something.

5. Here are some pics of the area in ?..................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this might help someone with a little expertise. It appears that the spring on the right isn't adjusted as far as the one on the right. I fixed it in the parking lot as best I could, but I think it might need some more. Also, the latch on the first pic is the one that is'nt lockjing or unlocking properly.

Eric

6. Here is the right side of the motor. The hinge on this side isn't locking into place when you lift or lower the unit.

[​IMG]

There does not appear to be anything missing. But it still doesn't seem right either.

Eric

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Clean that little lever there with some WD40 in the last picture. Is that what's sticking?? It uses gravity to drop in place??
    Nevermind, that's not the problem since it's not locking down in reverse.

8. freyedknot

is there a steel rod that runs right to left for those hooks to hook on to . i think that is what may be missing.it runs east west thru the holes on the motor mounting bracket thats bolted to the boat?????

9. Yes, there is a little bar that is adjustable so that you can set the engine to run up to plane. That bar is still there, but the hooks aren't reaching around it to grasp onto it.

Eric

10. freyedknot

you may have inadvertantly switched the lever over to SHALLOW WATER DRIVE. this lets the motor kick up when running in shallow water to prevent lower unit damage.should be a latch to disengage it ,to nthe lock position.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I have the same problem on my mercury 20hp i will have to check some of the items listed as well. I have the bar in place also and its just not latching onto it.