close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Dog

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShoreBoundOne, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Well got some bad news about Sadie yesterday. Shes been limpin abit while walking the last week or two. Took her to the vet and after some examination and xrays...looks like she has a genetic bone deformity in both rear legs. There is a surgical procedure but that runs $3500 per leg but thats too much. At this point we dont know how this will affect her in the long run...the vet said fetching and running will cause her to be sore...but if thats what she loves...then let her do it. Its a quality of life issue. I would rather her live 6 years happy and chasin birds than 12 years stuck inside all the time.
    We have had her for 8 months now and shes got everyone wraped in my house. Me most of all.
    I was considering breeding her eventually but i had the vet spay her yesterday. I did buy her from a backyard breeder...these are good folks and i spoke with them last night. They were very apologetic but thats the risk i ran. My advise to anyone considering buying a pure bred pup is...make sure you go to a reputable breeder...one that garuntees their pups. Cost more but its worth it.
    That being said, i would not trade Sadie for nothin...shes the sweetest smartest and easiest dog i have ever trained. And shes got a great nose. I was planning on gettin a new pup this year anyway for next season....hopefully Sadie will be able to hunt....cuz thats when shes happiest.
    Sorry this post is so long but had to get it off my chest.

Mitch

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Mitch,

She is a great dog. Very smart.....and was very enjoyable watching her swim up at east harbor :) The dog will know when too much is too much, and they will just stop exercising rough if they become too sore. Just like a huntin' dog with a thorn in it's foot. It will drop to the ground and won't get up until that thorn is gone. Same with joint problems. Once they become too sore, they will just take it easy. Hopefully it will just be an exercise problem and not something that effects the dog at all times. Maybe sometime I'll bring my golden up there and they can play. She loves to play and swim....and doesn't play rough :)

3. catking

catking Banned

Sorry to hear about this Mitch. I'm with you, I'd rather the dog have a few great years than alot of so so years. CATKING.

4. It's terrible to hear that. I've owned a number of Springers over the last 15 years, and never had a problem with any of them. Sometimes these things just show up in certain pups. Even with high dollar breeders, it can still happen, but like you said, they usually give you a guarantee for a certain period of time. But, after time you've become attached to the dog, and money is no longer important. Did the vet say anything about giving here some pain medicine? Maybe that would allow her to enjoy her play time more.

5. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Thanks for the support fellas....yes they have given us a anti inflamatory..... The evt said there is know way to tell how she will do in the long run. He kind of described it like a person with bad kness....shell have her good days and bad days. Also i can give her glucosamine...hopefully her legs wont get any worse.

Mitch

6. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

sorry to hear about your dog mitch, i have 3 labs which i love way to much, i decided to breed my female and the 1st thing i did was have the hips,eyes and elbows certified, it cost a pretty penny but when i sold the pups i was able to give guarentees with tham which made me feel good knowing that the buyers were getting quaity pups, good luck with her i hope all goes well. :cool:

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sorry to hear about Sadie, the short while I spent with her up at East Harbor I really got the impression of how much of a lovable and well mannered dog she is. Like you said its MUCH better that she get 6 years in doing the things she loves than being cooped up for 12. 6 years is a long time, and I'm sure you and her will make the most of it :) Give her a pat on the head for me.

8. Sorry To Hear That Mitch...i Had To Put My Lab Down Wednesday...i Didnt Know It Would Hurt Me So Much....i Miss Her Dearly...