close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Dog is Going to the Insane Asylum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChardonRob, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I just got back from running my dogs in the back fourty behind my house. My pointer was out in front hunting like crazy and my lab was walking around in a daze going "duh" as always. We were walking a ridge that produces a lot of woodcock flushes plus a grouse or two. I noticed some movement out in front and sent my pointer in the right direction. Sure enough she goes on point and I start walking around her with my lab. All of the sudden a turkey blows up right in my face. My pointer starts running after it and another turkey comes up right in front of her. She freezes and goes on point again. By now my lab is in on the action and she is zigging and zagging. Up goes another one then another one and another. Before it was all said and done with 15 turkeys took skyward.

My lab thought it was fun but really didn't have a clue what was going on. My pointer on the other hand worked like a demon possesed for the next mile and a half down the ridge until her eyes were crossed and her heart looked like it was going to beat right through her chest. Now my lab is on the floor asleep and my pointer is standing by the door shaking and looking at me then looking back at the door. The men in the white coats better get here quick.

2. gstrick27

gstrick27 ITS BLUEJACKETS TIME!!!!!

turkey dog, u might be on to something there

3. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

LOL...that's funny!

4. I can remember the 1st time my setter locked onto a turkey. A single tom. Golden turned his head around and looked at me as to say. "We have been walking all day thourgh greenbriers, honeysuckle, and every other pokey thing and you dont shoot the biggest bird that I have ever pointed. Oh by the way I was not going to retrieve that one." Nothing beets a good dog on point. I would take a dog on point over a 20" smallie any day.

5. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Take her out for Oct turkeys! Bust up the group and then call ya one back in. Sounds like a winner to me!

6. Hey Walter, there's been times where she has pointed and I have flushed, shot and missed and I've actually heard her say "YOU IDIOT!!!"

Pointing turkeys is kind of a strange thing to watch but at least they are birds. When I drove a truck over the road I used to run her behind a truck stop near Harrisburg PA. There was a ton of grouse there and we would jump several every time out. On one occasion she goes on point at a single clump of grass with nothing else around it. I walked around her and kicked at the grass expecting a grouse or quail or some kind of bird to jump. I gave a hard kick and my foot comes to a dead stop like I had kicked a big rock. I looked back at the dog and she's still on point so I bend down and start pushing through the grass with my hands. I felt the big rock so I pulled it out and to my surprise it was a big healthy tortoise. After that she has pointed three other tortoises in PA and VA. I think I have the worlds only German Shorthair Tortoise Pointer

7. See there is your problem you have a German shorthair. :D Just kidding. Never had a dog that pointed turtles. I do know what you are talking about when youve missed a bird and your dog just gives you a look like " I was supposed to have feathers in my mouth. Could you spend a little time at the range instead of working me ever day. I can see that I know what I am doing and your only job is to shoot the dang grouse."