Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys - but I need to vent a little here.

My group went on a charter this weekend. We only get to go once a year so it's a big day on all our calendars.

We have gone on the bigger headboats each year but this time went with a little smaller boat thinking it would be a bit more fun. The only thing that I didn't think about was how much difference the captain can make in your overall satisfaction!

Upon arrival at the dock at 5:45 am I introduced myself. He replied "OK". Didn't bother to say "Thanks for coming guys. I'm Captain _____ __________" .....Oh well I figured he was pretty busy. No big deal. We were all excited and ready to go.

Captain then announced "My first mate is screwing me. He's not here. Do you guys mind pitching in?" I said "Sure Captain. Just let us know what we can do".....thinking that meant putting on our own worm rigs, changing weights, netting the fish if needed, etc. We all love to do those things anyway. And with a first mate many times you don't get the chance...............so after hearing me volunteer how it was no big deal to go without a mate the captain hands me a bottle of spray wash and a paper towel to take care of the windshield! That bugged me. But I jumped out there and took care of it. No big deal really. Cappy didn't even say thanks or anything. I should have known that was only the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

OK. So we're all in the boat. Watching the other boats take off. One after another. After another. I had no idea what we were waiting on. I asked "How many did your boat get yesterday" to which the reply was "Do you want to jinx yourself into a bad day? Don't EVER ask how it was yesterday cuz it don't matter what happened!".....what the hell did that mean? All I was doing was asking how the fishing is. I was starting the get the impression this guy was a jerk. But again - I kept my cool.

So we head out. Cappy spent his time on the radio. Telling whoever he was talking to that "Everyone knows I'm opinionated" as if that was some great trait. But still - no big deal. I've got plenty of friends. I don't have to make friends every time I go fishing. (but usually do)

On the way out we noticed almost all reels are set up for left handed fishermen. Kind of odd. With the handle on the right side of the spinning reel. A buddy asks about it. "Everybody fishes that way. You can switch one if you want to"......oh well. It was just the way his attitude was really showing through.

So we get out there after about a 45 minute run. We stop the boat but he leaves it running. Not a word. No "OK guys. Grab a rod". Nothing. So I say "are we supposed to be fishing now?" and he answers "Yeah"......

So after he gets HIS poles down with some worms he shows a few of the guys how to hook the worm on. But not before he had a chance to "catch" a guy doing it wrong. "That's not how you do it!" he says......

All righty then......I grab a pole and head to the front of the boat. Everyone else stays in the back. One of them hooks up right away. Here comes cappy "Keep it tight! No slack! Move him in here! Come on!" as if our SOLE purpose was to horse every single fish into the boat IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT ANY THOUGHT OF ENJOYING THE FIGHT.........I was already bummed with this guys attitude.

The drift progressed. We caught more fish. Captain sure kept making sure HE was catching them to. One of our crew is clearly not the most experienced angler. Captain should have said "Hey dude. Got one on this pole. Grab it!"....but no. That would have been the right way to take care of your clients. He would just chuckle "he he got another! woo hoo!" For some reason these guys think all we want is to go home with our limit. As soon as possible. Well guess what - WRONG! We want to enjoy each others company with having to mess with the boat. And FOR THAT we paid $600.00 total.

Each fish I hooked up front I would fight him around to the side for cappy to net. WITHOUT EXCEPTION he would bark orders to me with nearly every crank of the reel. Pull! Don't lift your rod! No slack. Get him in here! He even went so far as to say "What you're doing is pissing me off".....can you believe that?! And what he was referring to was after I had cranked down to the water line I then pulled the pull up to about the 10 o'clock position. I kept the line tight the entire time. I know how to fight a fish. Each time it's something a little different. But that's fishing. Sometimes they run a little. Some times they don't. Some times I just like to feel them play a little. IS this a crime?

I could go on and on. Like him telling me EXACTLY where to cast a dozen times or so. I was in the front. By myself. Casting all over trying to find the right swing. Of course I know to cast straight out (just a little to the side)....But since I'm the only one up there - I'll cast wherever in the hell I want to cappy.

Well around 10:00 or so one of my guys starts getting sea sick. We have plenty of fish on ice - but nowhere near our limit. But the guy keeps fishing. Toughing it out. Captain says "we should finish this drift and wrap up. Your guys need to go in"....no they didn't. Shouldn't our group decided? The sick guy himself didn't want to go in.

I ask captain how many fish we have. "Oh we're getting close" as in "I have no idea".......he "thinks" we need 6 or 8 more. I'm thinking to myself "Jeez. If there were only some way we could know how many fish we have....???"

By this point I (along with my group) had decided this guy was a jerk. One time I was up front with a hooked fish going "Fish on! Fish on!" which cappy could not hear because his hillbilly music was cranked a bit loud. The fish finally got off to which cappy's response way "You gotta say FISH ON" so I know to get the net.

So here it is. 11:00. Cappy "thinks" we need one more. Too bad it would be physically impossible to find out the real number..........I asked "Why can't we just count the fish?" and he says "We don't need to" as he pointed to each guy. "Did you catch your limit?" and one guy would say yes. The next would say now. So cappy just figured a few guys over limit and a few guys well under the limit would balance out...........very sharp indeed......

We catch one more walleye and head in. Only finally learning at the dock we were 4 fish short of the limit.

I was glad to get off that jerk's boat. And if he is reading this he will know who I am so I'll finish with this:

Dear Captain,
You need to be a little nicer and help your customers enjoy their day. The goal is not only to get a limit of fish in the quickest time possible so you can get back to the dock. The goal is to spend the day enjoying time on the water with friends. Period.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I vote for your side of this story.

If you mention a name here (10,000 members), you could at least get a little more satisfaction, and keep others from the same scenario.

I remember an old saying that if you are satisfied with your service you will tell 5 people but if you are not satisfied you will tell 100.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm always hesitant to post anybody's real name on these board. I'm not out to shut the guy down. I just hope word will get back to him that not everybody enjoys being treated like a first grader with a snoopy pole.....

·
Premium Member
10,888 Posts
I'm sorry you had that kind of experience. There are good and bad charter captains.

I feel very confident it was NOT one of the Charter Captains that advertise here on OGF!

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
you should do us all a favor and give us a name, that was a real waste of a day and money. i had 2 guided duck hunts like that. rude people for shure.and i don't think i would have washed his windows either. did you give him a good TIP?????? L.O.L.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
if people want to know the name of the charter,i think in the interest of fairness they can pm gut hook.i'm in no way disputing his story,but it's one side and there's no need to throw names around on the net,and having this thread turned into a slamfest.i'm sure if his experience is "typical" of that outfit,it will bite them in the end.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,043 Posts
sounds like a bad day. i picked up on one thing that sounds familure. i was not there but i know in my boat alot of time when im netting a fish im vocal too. i mean nothing by it (of course) but in the heat of things i get excited. some people are less experienced in playing fish and think that pumping the rod or dropping it down is the thing to do, it's not. when you pump/drop the rod you let the line go slack and the fish gets off. like i said i was not there and i am NOT siding with anybody. sounds like it was a bad trip, you did bring home some fish. just remember not to use his services again if you were disappointed with them. live and learn. i too feel there is no need to throw out names.:)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
wow....

I'm sure it wasent one of thr recomended guys.... this guys sounded like a real piece of work....

i hope your next trip your firnds is a much better one... your probably better off contacting a fellow OGFer with a large boat and asking id you can pay for all his gas and a few extra which might be cheaper that 600 dollars and Im sure you will have a better time... and better fish...

We have some great charter Capt. here on this site.... and they would never act like this bafoon.... some times paying the extra few bucks is worth it....

may your next trip be a pleasant as well a a cooler full of one...

Frank

Frank

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought one purpose of this forum is to discuss matters such as this, so something like this doesnt happen to someone else. Rather its one side of the story or not everyone post things on here that arnt true so whats the big deal?
we want names

·
Registered
395 Posts
Gotta agree with fishon and e-z bite, no need to post names, once his reputation spreads he"ll find out. Seen some other sites go to hell because of the name calling and bickering. This is the best site going, talked some great people and bought the boat that I"ve been looking for on this site. Youre a class act for not posting the name tempting as it was.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Guess I'm still not clear. Was this a (smaller) headboat... or a six pack charter? A coworker of mine shared a very similar experience (every detail was the same) of a horrible charter experience he and his wife & kids had a few summers ago. They booked the six pack the same day they arrived in Port Clinton. I gave him the names of a few trusted capt's from this site and told him to book in advance next time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
As a disclaimer, I will tell you that I favor free speech and discourage censorship. Having said such, I sympathize with your situation. How will his reputation spread if the name is not mentioned? Ofcourse, the charter captain's reputation will eventually spread, but only at the expense of clients losing a considerable sum of money. How many thousands of dollars will it take before his reputation finally spreads if "word of mouth" is not exercised. I would rather hurt his "feelings" than have a fellow OGF'er lose $600 of HARD earned cash. (You fellow OGF'ers can count on me for that!) While some may feel the name should be held in secret, and as a result you are compelled to do just that-keep it secret. Remember, the Better Business Bureau was established for people like you to speak of their experiences. At a minimum you should contact your BBB with the report. Unfortunately, I feel this will not be effective for I've never heard of an angler contacting the BBB for reports on charter boats. Perhaps you should contact the captain and invite him to read the complaint before posting his name? (Give him the opportunity to respond) The charter captain you have described is a true jerk, and he needs to learn business rule number 1, take care of your clients, or lose profits.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This boat could take more than 6 people. I'm just trying to make sure I do not pinpoint exactly who this guy is. I'm just hoping he'll get the word and maybe the NEXT group he takes out will benefit if he takes anything to heart.

Several guys have PM'd wondering who this is. I think I should just keep that part of the story confidential. I run a business myself and would appreciate the same treatment. (Though nobody could ever think anything bad of
me....:)

As I think about it I think it boils down to feeling like all this captain wanted was to get our fish and get the heck back to the dock. He was just very authoritative which (IMHO) fully grown adults do not need. Though from reviewing his literature its all about the experience, etc. Just goes to show that anybody can have an enticing web page.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just so I can clarify my original rant. I do NOT feel like we were ripped off. I do not allege he did anything which would violate any ethics or business rule either. He did what he said he would do: put us on fish. That happened.

It was just the overall day would have been much more fun if we didn't all feel like we being treated as complete novices, you know what I mean? Sure - none of us is a Linder or anything like that but we know how to enjoy reeling in a fish. And it could have even been OK with him to suggest "keep the line tight" or "don't let him get any slack"....but that just would do for this guy. Complete control is what I think he wants the most.

So again - no need for the BBB or to do anything in that category. I just hope other charter captains might think about asking their guys how much help they want/need/expect, etc.

Funny thing - as we were heading out and getting pumped up about the fishing we were establishing our friendly wager categories: first, most and of course biggest. Cappy chimes in "Don't think I'm going to be measuring each and every fish that comes in here! It will be up to me to say what one is the biggest. And if there isn't an obvious winner then that money should go to the 'most' winner."

Thanks for the help Cappy! Wouldn't want to trouble you with helping us enjoy a little competition out here!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
A couple things of note here with this story...

1. I would never have cleaned a windshield on a charter boat.

2. My response to him asking.."would you guys mind helping out today?"...would have been..."not if you don't mind knocking off twenty bucks from each of our share..." But that would have not gone so well for sure...but man, for him to ask you to clean the windshield is like me asking my neighbor to cut 1/2 my lawn..

3. Charter captains like to get their fish and get home. In the future...you should let the captain know that you are "not all about limits" but rather out to enjoy the company of friends on the water. Some captains will not take clientele who wish to do such things.

4. I surely hope you did not tip him.

5. Hopefully in the future your group will have a plan of attack should one or more of you get seasick.

6. I would have counted the fish on the deck of the boat and then asked where the soap and washdown pump were located.

7. I would not have been able to show such restraint in not posting his name. Trust me..there are plenty of captains looking for clientele these days. Kudos to you for holding back.

8. Yet another "buyer beware" story....I'm sure this happens more frequently than any of us care to admit....especially with captains who do not feel their clientele know much about fishing in the least bit.

9. Kudos to charters though...they have to produce fish for some people that have never even seen a lake.

10. Learn from this experience...and I think now you know what types of questions you should ask prior to your next trip.

HIH

·
Registered
839 Posts
Wow, what a bad experience. I think I would have had a hard time not barking a few orders, or worse, back at the captain after all of that. You should pat yourself on the back for not confronting this idiot while on the boat. i had bad experiences a few times, about 20 yrs ago on a couple of bear hunts. I spent a little less and got much less. Should have done more research. Learned my lesson. I am very hesitant to book a trip without knowing about the person(s) running the outfit/trip. I havent been on a trip with an outfitter in many years (excluding 1 bear hunt) because of these previous negative experiences.

Did you tell this guy you had a poor experience when you got back to the dock?

Like many others have said, there are many great people here who share information and can recommend a Captain who will make your trip more enjoyable next time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have got to admit, I was very tempted to do a similar post from a very well known charter in cleveland. I never did post my experience and to this day I still hold it inside of me and get angry about it. The problem is that one of my friends that was with me posted his thoughts on this same charter recently and all we did (especially him) was get battered from fellow OGFrs. The problem is these charters have many friends as well and their own clicks in which many of our OGF members might be a part of. Lets just say it wasnt pretty because my friend did use the name and all he got was negative responses for posting his experience. I wanted to actually shut this charter down because of some of the things going on and I have the power to do so, but I hold true to one saying "you never know what that person is going through right now". Being a business man I speak to many who are great people but if I catch them on a bad day, it could be ugly. Later you find that someone close to them has just died, or very sick or something else. We all want to make a living and I think the best thing to do here is to confront the captain about his actions and let him know how you feel. It is a difficult thing to do but you also dont want him to lose everything he has , as long as he knows that if he keeps it up he will force himself to lose everything he has.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience. Sounds like you caught some fish, at least.

If this captain has a website, I would send them an email or write them a letter directly. From what you posted, he will either realize his shortcomings and try to be more helpful, or just blow you off, take your $$$, and go on to the next customer. His lack of customer service concerning the on-boat experience will catch up with him soon enough.

Good luck and I hope you and your group have a better experience in the future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What's the point of this "rant" ??

If the story is true then validate it by naming names so as to protect others on this great site from getting burned.

By not naming this charter service, you put a cloud over many other charter captains.

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts