close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my custom built rod.

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Fishaholic69, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

I am having a 7wt black matrix rod built for me as my steelhead rod and I just picked this up yesterday for $129 shipped. it will be going on there. http://www.orvis.com/store/product_..._id=768&cat_id=7908&subcat_id=7909&pf_id=72ER I got it in the titanium color to match the black woven graphite matrix rod and aw13 reel seat thats titanium with a black woven graphite insert. heres the seat. the one in the middle. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Fly_5/AW13-Window-Fly-Seats what ya think? oh ya, in the battenkill reel got the IV model.

2. I like your new reel,should be more then enough for steelhead, also like the reel seat u picked. Mine have woven graphite reel seats also ,I like them better then most wood ones.

3. Are you building the rod?

4. Fishaholic69

thanks kruggy, at 1st I was gonna get a matrix reel seat. thats basically just all black woven graphite with titanium locking rings and stuff but then he messeged me and said he found this one instead and that it isn't just plain black it had some titanium in it which I wanted and that it was also $5 dollars cheaper than the matrix one.

5. Fishaholic69

no janus its from midwest custom fly rods. I don't trust myself yet in that department. maybe now that I have all the rods that I need I will save up down the line and risk building one. I just didn't wanna screw it up and waste the money. actaully that reel is the most I ever spent on one before. I am kinda cheap also but it was just something I had to get.. heck, ya only live once that ya know of so why not get a quality reel that might last a lifetime. gotta love tax refunds lol. that new $300 refund we get in a few months will make up for the money I used on this rod/reel. lol.

6. Fishaholic69

hey guys just curious whats a good line to get for this setup? I am gonna mostly be nymphing for steelhead and casting some buggers and clousers with this rod for steelhead and maybe some bass. I was suggested rio line on another site but have seen lots of different ones. also seen the SA air cell too. what do you guys recommend??

7. Since you went all out ,you goin have to get good line...lol. I put SA steelheader on mine just this year. It works great and also capable of roll cast up to 70' (not that I can roll cast that far). I also have SA GPX on my 6wt its awsome.Cast great,rolls good plus two toned so you know were u can just pick line off water and recast. The GPX has a welded loop for your leaders too.

8. Fishaholic69

ya i am checking the SA line out. sounds good.

9. Fishaholic69

got the orvis mid arbor battenkill in the mail today. looks awesome! heres a pic.

Attached Files:

10. LOOKS GOOD!!! The silver finish is kind of cool,look even better on that custom rod!

11. Fishaholic69

thnx kruggy hopefully it will match up nice.. I paid him in full today. he says it will be a couple weeks or so still cause he has 18 rods to build.. I am not sweating it tho. I got a 8wt already plus I got my new 5wt. I always see white,green,and orange 20lb backing. today I seen this jim teeny backing 100 yards for $8.95 and you can get blue. I might get that and then the mastery steelhead line thats mist green. thats will be a different color combo on there then I ever seen before. this reel has holes all over it so you can see the backing and the line.
    says my reel will hold 150 yards but I might just get 100 yards. thats plenty for the rivers around here. that plus that fly lines 100 feet or so. if a steelie takes me that far I will run after him and jump on his back and hog tie him lol.

12. Fill the reel to maximum backing otherwise you flyline will have tight coils in it, just dont over fill with backing. Good luck with new outfit!!!

13. Fishaholic69

never over filled yet but been close. I just didn't wanna go over cause this fly line I might get is 105 feet long and usually other lines I have are only 90 feet or less. wonder what there is chart set for?

14. Fishaholic69

I wrote orvis and asked um if the capacity means just backing or if it means the backing plus the fly line. I will figure out how much to put on.

15. hey fishaholic, I suggest taking a look at the rio nymph line if you will be doing any indicator fishing for steelhead. It is the line I run on my current setup of a scott 10 foot 7weight. The line is a little bulkier which will help with mending, roll casts, and throwing all that "junk" (shot, indi, 2flies). And with that said, I was able to manage 150 yds of backing and the line on my lamson litespeed and it topped off great. The mid arbor is a GREAT reel. I have one on a 6 weight and I like it. If you do spool the reel with nymph, maybe look into gel spun backing, it is a thinner diameter, and it may help fill the reel easier because like I said the nymph is a bulkier line.

16. Fishaholic69

too late chromer I got a deal on the SA Steelhead mastery line in 7wt for $41 bux on ebay compared to the $63 everywhere else. this will save me money and let me buy the extra spool of backing I will need to make it 150 yards instead of only 100 that I was gonna get before.

17. Man you got a good deal on that line, wish I found it that cheap. Now your all set only thing left is a steelie.

18. Fishaholic69

and backing!!!!! 100 yards for 8-9 bux!!! ouchie! I need 150 yards!!! that means I got to pay 16-18 bux just for backing. dang it lol. I swear my cousin got some for like 4 bux

19. It might be cheaper to take to a shop and have them put backin on they charge by the foot. But dont quote me on that might want to call first.

20. i made my own fly rod. got all parts in a kit for $160 shipped. its a cabelas sli 9'6'' 2 piece with graphite seat, single foot guides, good cork ant butt end. when u buy a rod they run 4 $330. u can see the value here. however, i did need the rod rotating device. hell, i made my own. if u are somewhat technically and craft inclined, id say build ur rod. i love mine plus nothing beats using something u built