close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my creamy,cheesy potato soup

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by misfit, Nov 25, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

well,it's that time of year when we like those "comfort" foods like soups,stews,etc,so yesterday i was thinking of my ex's potato soup.good stuff,but i didn't have the recipe.i always had to thicken hers after the fact cause she thinks soup should be watery:rolleyes:
    i decided to just toss some things together and hope for the best,while coming up with something a little different,LOL.the end result was just what i was looking for..............................something even better than the ex makes:)
    for those potato soup folks here,try this one on for size.

6-10 medium red potatos, diced(peeled or not)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 stocks celery, chopped
    2 cups chicken broth(my favorite is college inn roasted veggie and herb)
    1 stick butter(divided in half)
    8 ounces velveeta cheese(cut in small cubes)
    2 cups milk
    1/4-1/2 cup instant potato flakes
    salt and pepper

dice onion and celery and place in large pot with half stick of butter.
    turn heat to medium-low and sweat till just softened(about10 minutes).
    add potatos and chicken broth.and enough water to just cover potatos.
    turn heat up,bring to boil,then lower heat,cover and simmer till vegetables are done.
    add remaing half stick of butter, cheese and milk.
    cook on low,stirring till cheese is melted.
    stir in potato lakes to thicken to your liking.
    salt&pepper to taste.

i fixed a 4 quart pot of this yesterday evening,and tonight it is gone:D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. I have heard on the forum that you are are a helluva cook-I'll try this and let you know-sounds delicious-Your cheese doesn't get grainy? Every time I try to do the cheese thing it gets grainy-It usually tastes good, but the texture is gross.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

there are lots better cooks here,but i can at least cook well enough to feed myself:D
    i'm not into all that fancy french stuff,etc,but more just plain old good eats:)
    oh,and it's just fun playing in the kitchen,LOL.

4. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Man, you would have made someone a great wife! :D

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yeah.too bad all my ex's weren't looking for a wife:( :D

6. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

I've been waiting for some more of "The Great Misfit's" recipes :) WB

7. ========================================================

I'll say you do a pretty good job of feeding yourself after watching the front of the boat dip downward the last time we fished Buckeye.:p ;)

Thanks for the recipe as I was just going to ask for some Potatoe Soup recipe's.
    Anyone else have any more to offer???

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

next time i'll sit in the back of the boat:p :p

my daughter-in-law makes a great potato soup(with bacon and dumplings) too,so i'll try to get her recipe for you.
    i called my son at work to pick some of mine up yesterday,and when i asked why he didn't,he told me she had a pot waiting when he got home,LOL.

9. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Excellent recipe we've been using for years, Misfit. (except I can't stand cooked celery) Try adding browned Johnsonville Brats sliced thin on an angle. The pepper cheese brats in it is AWESOME.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the brats sound good.i'l have to try that one.i like to add ham to mine too.in fact i added ham to the remainder today,and finished it off.adds another level of great flavor.
    as for raw celery, i pick it out of any dish that has it,LOL.but cooked in some dishes it kinda compliments them.

11. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I made a batch on Sunday. Reduced the amount of Cheese and Butter by half, added some chopped baby carrots and about 4oz of cubed ham.
    Still living this morning... good thing for you Misfit or I'd have had to come back and haunt you! :D

12. i made potato soup last week at the hotel that i work at for 102 people and they loved it i serve it at a dinner banquet.

13. ...Misfit...Made some of your Creamy Cheesy Potato Soup this past Saturday...The wife makes a good Potato Soup ...Her remark was You are the cook for the Potato Soup from now on...Granddaughter ate two big bowls ...Most times one is more than enough...wife asked me where I got the recipe ...say's it's better than hers...I told her it came from an OGF Member...
    ...CREAMY CHEESY POTATO SOUP...YUM...YUM...C.L.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks CL.glad everyone enjoyed it.

15. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I make mine almost exactly the same. Only diffrence is that I use thin sliced hot pepper cheese, I crumble it up and ad it slowly while stirring to melt it in. I also sometimes will fry some bacon to extra crispy and crumble it up adding it in near the end. Sounds great though I love potato soup.

16. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Misfit was a good "wife" in the mornings. When I stayed the night he always made breakfast.. Those were the days :D Huh... I think I need to invite myself over soon LOL

Rick,

Let me dig around tomorrow for my Cheesy potato soup. It's just as easy as yours. I haven't had it that way yet but I've made mine for several people and it's always a hit. Actually I'll be posting a few recipes over the next few days that I've tried and were really good.

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i've been waiting,LOL.how's my sausage gravy/bisquits and eggs sound?;)
    or maybe my special waffles?if you hurry,i might have some of my bread pudding left,but you'd better leave now:p :D

18. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

LMAO.... Sounds good eatin.. If I didn't have my 3 month old I'd be there :)

Shortstick, I found my recipe for you.

6 Medium Potatoes peeled and chopped
    2 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
    1/4 teaspoon of pepper
    1 1/2 cups of Cheddar Cheese
    12 oz can of evaporated milk OR 1 1/2 cups of regular milk

** I usually also add bacon and some fresh herbs like Chives, Rosemary, Bay Leaf etc. Whatever floats your boat. **

Put everything in the crock pot EXCEPT For the Cheese and Milk for 4 to 4.5 hours on high or 9 to 11 hours on low

After the time has elapsed stir in Cheese and Milk and put on high setting for 1/2 hour.