close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My boys first deer..

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by ShoreBoundOne, Nov 23, 2004.

1. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Took my son Alex out for youth gun season this year...planning on hunting hard both saturday and sunday. We went to the public area i normally hunt and found about 10 guys with their kids made it about 5 minutes ahead of us. Since this area is only about 250 acres, i asked where they were heading so i dont spoil their hunt....as luck would have it...they were going right down where i was planning on hunting...well first come first serve....i decided to try a different spot that i had only scouted once before at the other end of the area....i drove the truck up the road and parked....right after i got their...another pair of hunters arrived...i told them where i intended hunting and they were going to the other side of the road, so no problem. Well we went in and got set up in my hayhouse ground blind before sunup....hunting a oak stand at the edge of a plowed field...got loaded up and my son promptly fell sound asleep :)...he snoozed till about 8:15 and i hadnt seen a thing....about 8:30 i see some movement coming up from behind and to our left...its a nice fat doe and she is oblivious to us...heck i was even having a smoke lol....i guessed her to be between 80 and 100 yards....and with his new h&r single shot ultra slug hunter...thats not a problem...we slowly stood up and he took aim inbetween the trees...sqeezed off his shot and she piled up like a ton of bricks....i paced out 95 paces between where she lie and our blind. He hit her in the spine alittle far back....tenderloin shot lol..but still a great shot for a inexperienced hunter...Great day in the woods and a day he wont forget. Here are some pics:

Mitch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

Congrats on the first deer to your son, Shorebound!
    That's Fantastic!
    He looks quite proud too!

3. Congratulations to you and your son!

It was obviously a proud day for both of you. But you need to brief him again on the choice cuts of a deer. I mean spoiling the back strap! :eek: ;) :D

You are right. That is a nice shot for an experienced or inexperienced hunter.

4. congrats to your son!!!You can always rib him about falling asleep ;) :D for years to come.

5. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Congrats! Nice Doe.
    I hope he is hooked forever! :D

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

woohoo congrats to your son mitch...

7. That's nice, good memories.....Oh yea, good lookin' dogs too!

8. the best part is will never forget about his first deer, and who was with him.

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Congratulations to you both.

Will those dogs fetch a deer for you, if so I'd like to borrow them next week.

Kim

10. congrats, wish someone had taken me deer hunting when i was younger,great experiance for them

11. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Congrats! I'm 27 and still have not taken a deer yet. I want to go this year, but it does not look promising.

;) Atta boy!

12. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Thanks for the wishes everyone.....as far as tracking a Deer...although i hope never to need them....i think Sadie and Charlie would follow their nose right down the trail....they were going nuts the minute i walked in the door....couldnt figure out that smell lol.

Mitch