close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My blackhorn 209 misfired again today

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Harry1959, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Harry1959

Harry1959 Harry

Went out before daylight this morning. Was cold, but actually a beautiful morning for deer hunting.
    Took my buddy with me who has only killed 1 deer. Let him use my tc omega loaded with 90 gr BH209. The gun was clean, breechplug cleaned with 1/8 drill bit and blown out with air compressor. Shot two primers before loading last night.... muzzle flash through the barrel and it blew the snow as a clear gun should. Brand new Winchester shotgun primers. The BH was bought last year, stored in original keg in metal box in my attached garage. He had 3 misfires at one doe this morning.
    I have been using BH 209 for around 7-8 years, I was using it when it was hard to find. 5 or 6 years ago I was using BH during a wet and snowy muzzleloader season, had electrical tape over my barrel. Had a 40 yard shot at a 140 class buck and I miss fired then too. I wrote that off on wet conditions, am I to blame today’s misfires on sub-zero temps?
    I have recommended that others try it, I’ve read posts on here of people praising it as if nothing compares to it and someone even said”never a misdfire” I always take what I hear or read with a grain of salt. Well..,,,, I’ve shot more deer with my old cva Hawken hammer gun with goex real black powder and had less issues during actual hunting conditions.
    At the range, I absolutely love the BH 209, however I became somewhat of a sceptic today for its performance in the field.
    We know going in that the BH is more difficult to ignite than pyrodex or Goex as it requires hotter ignition primers and #11 caps are a no-no. Some guns even require a special 209 Breech plug for ignition.
    Has anyone else that had been using BH 209 for a few years had experiences, either good or bad in inclimate weather?.... and if the misfires were due to being last years powder, or not perfect storage, I’ve never had that issue either goex or pyrodex.
    For the rest of this year, I’m using pyrodex in my omega, I will just have to swab between every shot..... but that’s better than misfires.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. FAB

FAB

Have never had a misfire but last year with nearly the same conditions as this year, extreme cold and snow on the ground, I did have a slow fire which was similar to a flintlock with too much powder in the pan. I don't know how well the BH 209 stores for a long time. Mine was over a year old. But that said, I've had so many missed shots with trip 7 and others that I'll take the one time as acceptable. Might have even been something I did. Oh by the way did you ever enlarge the flash hole on the barrel end of the plug, if not there's your trouble. They are typically about 20 thousands need to be closer to 27 for the BH 209.

Harry1959 likes this.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I have never experienced a misfire in the one gun I use it in but I also can't say I've ever shot it in the low temps we have today.

Harry1959 and Richman like this.
  4. We also had a misfire today next shot was fine.. I was Thinkin the cold too..

Harry1959 likes this.
  5. Man that stinks
    I've been using for 6/7 years too and never had a problem
    Sounds like you did everything right with storage and cleaning the gun
    But I'm not sure about the two fouling shots
    I would guess even the 209's put some fouling in your breech plug
    I have a cva and had to switch the breech plugs before I could my to work with BH

Harry1959 likes this.
  6. Harry1959

Harry1959 Harry

Jmyerd is the only other response who actually shot today and he had issues as well
    I’m thinking Bh 209 don’t like sub zero temps, or even real cold temps. When I think about it, at the range last week I had 2 or 3 unexplainable hangfires in succession. It was around 15 degrees. I hadnt Had a hangfire since I learned to clean breechplug properly. Before now I’d never had a reason to go to the range with it zero outside.

And saugernut. 209 gunks up my breechplug real bad. I use 1/8 drill bit (by hand)to cut crud out with each cleaning.
    Will ponder the idea of altering my breechplug,

7. I believe BH does not have a "shelf life" that was one of it's selling points...
    can anyone confirm?

Harry1959 likes this.
  8. I haven’t had any problems yet with BH yet. I have the gun out in my truck with the powder so it will all be the same temperature for tomorrow. I didn’t hunt today but will be out all day tomorrow. I also have the CVA accura with the 209 breech plug.

Harry1959 likes this.
  9. Harry1959

Harry1959 Harry

Winchester shotgun primers.
    Bh209 site fAQ suggests if an omega is hangfiring it’s a dirty BP
    They give a lot of specs and details on how a breechplug should be made in order to ignite their product.
    maybe I will call and ask if they have actually tested in sub zero weather. These are extreme conditions.
    Lundy from that 2nd site you sent me it looks like that guy was having cold ignition issues as well, before he switched Breech plugs. Thanks for taking the time to find and post it.
    I just posted on a Michigan outdoor forum too. They hunt in extreme cold a lot more than we do and should be more guys who have actually shot BH 209 in extreme cold. Heck, before today, I’d never deer hunted with it -below zero without a wind chill factor. Again, with hardly any wind it wasn’t that bad!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

From the second link

"Yesterday morning (12-5-11), in preparation of a hunt on this ranch next week, I decided to get in a morning of cold weather shooting here in western Montana, just to insure that the rifle and load continue to produce the degree of accuracy I've been gettng all fall. The temperature here in Missoula was right at 6 degrees above zero. All summer and during early fall, I had been using the Federal-Fusion "Muzzleloading" primers for ignition with Blackhorn 209. Before installation of a redesigned breech plug for my Knight .50 DISC Extreme (Long Range Hunter) and .50 Mountaineer, I came to realize that the only way to get positive ignition was to shoot a MAGNUM No. 209 primer - such as the CCI 209M or the Federal 209A."

Harry1959 and Smitty82 like this.
  11. Muddy

Muddy

I used CCI 209 magnums. I have been shooting in these temps sighting in and hunting today. They worked great with BH

ohihunter2014 and Harry1959 like this.
  12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I have hunted below zero but my gun is not below zero. It is only below zero outside my blind. It was still 50-60 degress inside so is was not really cold weather hunting like hunting out in the elemnets all day.

I use federal 209A in my smokeless guns

13. Harry1959

Harry1959 Harry

Good info guys. Will try the cci mag primers after the muzzleloader season(on a real cold day)Wanting to experiment with creating my own sabot/bullet combos too. For now it’s pyrodex or goex. Fired 2 rounds with pyrodex today in the yard, no ignition issues.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  14. I guess I should of clarified we were using 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets not loose powder but still none the less had a mis fire

Harry1959 likes this.
  15. Muddy

Muddy

I did a test with BH 209 today. I reloaded with BH 209 yesterday around 5:00 as soon as I shot a deer just in case he wasn't as dead as I thought he was. When I walked up to him he was very dead so I unprimed my gun, tagged him, got my truck, got to gutting the deer. After I got done gutting it was dark and very cold. My gun was all frosted up around the chamber and reciever, probably from heating up at the shot and then condensating as it cooled. I put the gun in the case. I then put it in a heated environment for 2 hours. Then I put it outside in the truck overnight. I shot it to clear it at 1:00 today. It fired off like I had just loaded it. CVA BH breech plug, 95 grains BH and CCI magnum 209 primer.

Smitty82 and Harry1959 like this.
  16. I have an Omega use Triple 7 powder not the pellets never had that problem

17. I use Triple 7 never had a problem