My '76 Crestliner

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by eviltodd, Oct 30, 2008.

1. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

First, let me say hello, I'm new here and am glad there is such a resource available. Now to my issue: I have a '76 AMF/Crestliner with a 140 HP Merc that loves to turn left. I have to fight the hell out of it to get it to run straight and when I do, it lysts badly. I've tried adjusting the anode and the stabilizers on my whale tale, but to no avail. I am considering trying to run it without the whale tale, but I think that's why I tried the whale tale in the first place (long story so assume it does the same thing without the whale tale on it.).

Furthermore, I'd love to put this on Erie and troll for eyes, but the darn thing idles at 4.2 mph. I'm considering buying a trolling motor (it does have a trolling motor mount on it), but I'm on a budget. So two part question here....1) What size trolling motor should I need...electric or gas, and 2) Would a Drift Sock do the trick?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

does that motor have a trim tab just above the prop? that might need adjusted

3. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

Nope, no trim tab.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

sock will do it 2 would be better as one will make it pull to one side.or 2 /5 gallon buckets tied off amidship. 4.2 mph is fast ...maybe you can adjust your idle screw to lower the idle. it has a stop setting and may be adjusted out too far. maybe you lost the tab on your motor. where are you located? you may also have something wrong with your hull. check for anything irregular w. your hull underneath ,especially towards the back area.

5. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

I'm in Akron, near the 76/77 split (Kenmore Leg). I know that I can let out the idle screw a bit and will try that Friday or Saturday. Everything appears fine with the hull, we've looked it over several times. I've looked at the lower unit several times and can't seem to find anything that might be missing or bent either. It doesn't seem to be an issue at low speeds, but at high speeds I really have to muscle the wheel to keep it straight then it has a lean as if it's a weight distribution problem, but that isn't the case either. If I let go of the wheel it goes into a very tight port turn. It seems like it should be so darned simple. I'm losing sleep over it as I lie awake thinking about it. HELP! I'm obsessing. What's the going price on Aluminum these days?

6. freyedknot

is this 140 merc an i/o or outboard motor?

7. freyedknot

Trim Tab

The prop spins in one direction causing the motor pull to one side, making steering tiring. On most motors, particularly the big ones, there is a little fin that hangs down behind the prop to counteract that pulling while the boat is in motion. By turning the fin to one side or the other, the twisting of the motor is offset.

Interestingly enough, this fin is made of zinc. When outboards are in salt water, there is a great chance of a chemical reaction, like a battery, “eating” one metal on the motor. The fin is made of a zinc that sacrifices itself. It is “eaten” before the other more valuable motor parts. It might need to be replaced at some time if the motor is in salt water, but it is cheap and easy to replace.

8. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

Also, even if it's an I/O, but especially if it's an outboard, it may not be centered on the transom. Use a tape measure and measure the distance from your motor to the sides of the boat. If they are not the same, that will cause the problem you are having. But more than likely, your missing trim tab is the culprit. Also, you should check to see that your skeg is not bent. That's the fin at the very bottom of your gearcase, and it sometimes gets bent by hitting or dragging on the ground. Or, if you forget to tilt the motor after trailering, the boat ramp, which is usually pretty funny to those watching.

9. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

it is an I/O.

10. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

I was confident that is what it was also, however yhat's the anode to which I was referring in my original message. I tried moving it both directions as far as it would go and got no change in steering in either direction. Whatever is causing it has to be more drastic than that, so you'd think it would be more appearant and easily spotted....at least that's my logic. I may take some pics of the lower unit and hull so you can take a look...but you have to promise not to laugh....it's one helluvan ugly boat.

11. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

I will measure it, but it is an I/O, so I'll have to measure some other points. The skeg/skag is definitely chewed up, so it could be that. I've seen other bad ones before, so I didn't think it was that. I guess I should have asked the owners of the other one's I've seen if they had steering problems. If it is that, do I have to buy an entire lower unit to replace it or if there was a way of repairing it. It's more chewed than bent, however. I will post some pics tomorrow when I can snap some shots in daylight.

12. BIGGUNS

BIGGUNS SFC-ARMY

I Used To Live On Macintosh Ave. And I Have A 78 19 Ft. Crestliner Also If There Is Anything I Can Help You With Just Let Me Know .

13. If you dont find an answer here, check the forums on iboats.com (it's pretty good!)

14. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

Much appreciated...I'm up by the High School on Saxon Ave, just off of 13th, so your old place is very close.

Let me know next time you've got a seat open to slay some eyes. I'm taking my crestliner up to Erie this Sunday for a test run...assuming I don't find more issues...wish me luck.

15. Sounds just like the problem I had with my boat, also an alpha 1. I added a rather large transducer from my ice fishing fish finder (vexilar) on the same side as my Lowrance transducer. When I was at full speed, I was 2 feet higher than my passenger.. :) I couldn't figure it out for a while until my son noticed a roostertail shooting upward at the transom. Maybe you have a transducer set too low?

16. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

Well, my finder's transducer is on the back left side, but I just replaced my old finder with a new one today. The new one is smaller and designed to rotate up at higher speeds. We'll see if that makes any difference tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'll try to get to those pics another day, was working on it until dark tonight and forgot to grab my camera.

I did measure it to see if it was offcenter, but it was not...everything seems to be centered up well.

17. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

and the wheel wants to spin to one side, you can replace the steering system with a No-Feedback system from Teleflex. That will eliminate the steering pull. However, if you are steering straight and the boat lists to one side as you drive, you have an issue unrelated to the torque steer. How is your weight distribution? And not just the stuff you put in the boat- maybe you have a weight issue "under" the boat like saturated floatation foam. Is the hull in good shape with no hooks? What condition is the prop in? That can add unequal forces that can cause issues if you have a prop way out of whack.

You can reduce or eliminate list issues by adding a set of Smart Tabs to the boat but it's a cost. They'll be better for the boat than the whale tail is and they are adjustable.

As for the trolling, a trolling plate can help with the speed issue. Or, as mentioned above, drift socks will work as well.

UFM82

18. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

I doubt at this point I'll be pouring any major dollars into it to add a new steering system or trim tabs. I got this thing free from my father who hadn't had it in the water for over 15 years. Since then I've put about $4000 into it trying to get it right and I just keep thinking this is the last thing I need to do and it'll be like new. I think I may have to cut my losses unless it's a cheap fix at this point. It runs, floats straight (under 20mph) and trolls around 1.5-2.0 mph now. Should be good enough to do what I need it to do. I just can't open her up.

It has developed a new problem, however. It ate my battery while trolling and left me stranded about 1.5 out. Brand new alternator, so it has to be a lose connection or short somewhere. Odd thing is that once we got a jump, it got me back in to dock. But when I disconnected the battery while it was running, the engine died. Has to be a short...right? Only other thing i could figure is that my alternator doesn't charge until the engine hits a certain RPM or it has a voltage regulator which is bad. In any event I'll be investigating this further this week when I hook up my battery charger/alt tester.

As for the weight distribution question. The hull is sound, no hooks. Prop looks ok and I really can't access under the floor to examine the floatation foam other than what is under the cuddy and it appears fine. If it's a weight issue, it'd have to be major as I've had 2 passengers in the boat on on the high side of the boat when listing and it still doesn't bring it down.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll get these darn pics posted soon, but I've been taking care of some darn medical issues as they are trying to fix this darn pinched nerve in my neck/arm.

19. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

You can buy a skeg guard to fix the skeg problem. It bolts over the existing skeg. As far as the torque steer issue. If you adjust your trim/tilt while running, it will affect your steering. If it is hard to turn one direction, adjust the tilt/trim until the steering frees up. I had the same problem on my boat. I ran it all the way down, which was fine until I hit higher speeds. After adjusting for optimal ride, steering worked fine. As far as the lean, after 15 years on the trailer, the hull can and will deform somewhat. It creates slight air pockets while on plane and if one side gets more than the other, theres your lean. The only solution I found is trim tabs. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

20. eviltodd

eviltodd Small Member

How can I tell if my voltage regulator is bad? I hooked up a Multimeter to my alternator, put it on Vac and was getting a wide range of voltage, then put it on my battery wires and got the same result. Shouldn't the charge be a fairly steady 13.x Vac? The alternator is new (rebuilt) & has only 2 wires, not 4...therefore I guess it's self exciting from what I've learned.