close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My 20007 Ontario Spring Adventure PRT1 (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by yankee, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Everything was packed and ready to go. Including my canoe and trusty Lund. My plan was to leave Thursday after work, arrive in Matachewan, camp and fish the bush lakes, Tuesday morning I would check into a little rustic cabin on the Montreal and fish until Friday morning at which time I would pack up and meet some Canadian freinds on Round Lake. Finally heading Friday night but not before doing some last minute fishing on one of my favorite pike lakes near Huntsville on Saturday.

I arrived on the Montreal south of Matachewan Friday afternoon after a long drive and a rest along the way. No problems at the border

The fishing was slow on that part of the Montreal but the scenic view was well worth the drive after a long winter of anticipating this trip. No one in sight and it felt a world away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

The next morning I headed back into the bush to try and find access to a lake that I’ve been trying to get into for the past 4 years. No luck as the area had been mined and timbered. I tried in vain to find a way in but to no avail. No worries I thought, I’ll leave this one and head on up further and set up base camp. There are a couple lakes up that way I have been wanted to explore.

Somewhere on the back roads between Matachewan and Timmins long after 66 ends is a small lake. I like to camp here sometimes as a base for getting into other lakes. The lake is full of pike and its grounds make it idea for camping.

Over the next few days I enjoyed the peaceful serenity of the back country not including the bugs. They were bad but I was prepared.

I did come across a small lake while looking for another one and decided to get it a try in the canoe. Apparently it’s a stocked trout lake as it was full of these and it was one after the other. Lot’s of fun on light tackle.
    [​IMG]

I had a good feed of pike at camp and enjoyed the sunset one evening. The haunting sound of the loon was the last thing I heard at night before going into a deep sleep. One night the wolves must have been very active as I could hear them in the distance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my last day in the bush I explored a lake system with the Lund. Easy access and I found it surprising how great the fishing was. One could easily get lost back in here because there are small streams to motor down and they split every so often. You would enter a body of water, take a small river for a while and it would branch off to another lake. This went on for some time and I finally had to head back before dark but not before catching these perfect for eating fish. I did very well in here, no biggies but I’ll be back.
    [​IMG]

Lot’s of wildlife in the area. Including this young bear and a fox with a fresh rabbit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally it came time for me to pack up camp and head for the cabin. Midday Tuesday I arrive at the cabin and unpacked. Ahhhh it was nice to be back on the Montreal. I just sat and took in the sights and smells for a good 30 minutes. Here’s a few pics of the river and cabin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(continue on PRT2)