Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
caught my 1st steelhead today. it was awesome!! well if u call catching it getting it up to you and lifting it up and having the line snap. I almost still grabbed it by the tail but it got away with my spinner! lol. man those fish got some power! caught it using a gold mepps spinner #1. It was one huge mofo! it had to be like 20 to 24 inches long and at least 7 to 10 pounds! it took my drag out like nothing and then swam right for me thats how i pretty much got it in. I am off to grab up more lures and maybe a new rod! keep u posted! I heard orange spinners are working from a kid down there. I will grab a few of those up maybe.

·
Take a Dad fishing
364 Posts
Good job! Nothing like that first one! Bet you were pumped.

·
I'd Rather Be FISHING
224 Posts
welcome to the club, i got my first steely back in november and ive been hooked ever since...wait till you a 25+ incher on in warm weather...talk about a fight

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha exactly what i told my buddies! I AM HOOKED!!! but ya it was exciting! we r going tommorow again.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Congratulations,
And got on hardware too, thats the best in my book. Nothing like felling them slam a lure and take off. Nice fish, but just wait till you tie into one about 30 inches with a spinner, you'll swear you hooked a torpedo. Cograts again. Triple-J

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
went again today but didn't catch any . I almost had another one but the hook didn't set and he got away! we actually found a school of 5 or 6 of them later in the day but they seemed too busy spawning or something. we had the spinners right past there faces. sometimes they would seem a lil interested and sometimes not. oh well we still had a blast. we will prolly go again in a 2 days or so. I also ordered some spinners off ebay. looks just like a mepps but some guy makes um himself and they were cheaper. 6 for 8 bux or so. will let u kno how those work out. he says he test um out in 9 trout streams in colorado. he says he catches rainbow,brook,and brown trout on them. can't wait to try to fish again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts