close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my 125 gallon cichlid tank

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marshall, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

2. Marshall

3. Marshall

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Marshall,
    Wow... that is gorgeous! I used to raise/breed/sell African Cichlids many years ago. At one time, we probably had 60 tanks in our basement, (ranging in size from 5 gallon to 100 gallon) and a huge custom made 625 gallon tank upstairs where we kept our breeding colony of Frontosa's. 1 male and 4 females. I remember the days when we would sell these 1" babies for $5.00 a piece!
    In the mid eighties, there was a local group called the "lake erie cichlid society" that we belonged to. They had monthly meetings, guest speakers, and an auction of other members babies. Being a member allows you to purchase fish from local breeders rather than paying retail. It's also very interesting to see what type of color morphs and variations local breeders come up with.
    I've been fumbling with the idea of setting up another tank, but been fighting it because it's hard to have just 1 tank! Have you ever seen the acrylic coffee table fish tanks???
    http://www.designeraquarium.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=12
    Now THAT I would love (and I'm sure my cats would love it too :D )
    Marcia

5. Marshall

Those table tanks are cool but would have to stay super clean to look good. I try to let the algae grow on the rock cause the fish like to munch on it. Keeping an aquarium is just as addictive as fishing. I am always wanting to get more lures and more fish.

6. Great looking tank and fantastic fish. Thanks for sharing. :)

7. love that tank. i currently have a 150, 2 40's 2 55's and a thirty. none of them are africans. your's are stunning. nice job

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Do you use a bobber when you fish with those minnows? Or are you just letting them swim free off the bottom :p
    Great looking tank Marshall.

9. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Nice bait. Or, is that your screen save from your new computer? :D

No really, AWESOME tank!

Atta boy!

Get er done!

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

nice malawis you have there..

11. Great Tank . Beautiful Fish. I Have A 75,
    A 55,and Four 10 Gal.my Favorite Fish
    Are Gouramis.thanks For Sharing.

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I never thought a tank full of zebras would look good but that is one nice assortment. What kind of rock do you use? I assume though plants are fakes (those b@stards eat everything, even java ferns)

13. Marshall

They are not all zebras, there are afras, melanochromis, labidochromis, labeochromis, pseudotropheus (some of the pseudos are zebra some are not). I have a lot of limestone rock that i bought at landscape and mulch place for a lot less than LFS. The fish love the rock work but they are breeding like crazy and it will be a pain to take all that rock out to catch the little boogers but some day i will have to. I really dont want to mess with the rocks some are really heavy and i dont want to take too many chances of dropping one and breaking the glass. Yes plants are fake they eat most all plants but a few. Thanks for the comments all.

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Nice tank! Very nice.
    Any fulliborni's? Those were my favorite africans.

15. Marshall

16. Marshall

[​IMG][​IMG]
    fuelleborni and albino zebra

17. Marshall

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Great looking fish. I just got some shipped to me recently.

Ever heard of psudeotrophus demasoni, great looking fish. They kinda look like the last fish you posted on the right, but bolder colors and black fins with a top blue stripe.

Well not the last fish, you beat me to a post, but the second to last photo :D

I'll post some photos in a minute, once I find the cord.

19. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Okay I'm trying to get a good shot of a psuedotrophus demasoni but my male just isn't cooperating!

Here is a "decent" photo of him, but its a little blurry:

[​IMG]

As you can see in t he photo there are 3 other blue fish, 2 of which are female demasoni but the top one is a electric blue alhli but the photo doesnt do him justice.

Here is some of the other fish :

[​IMG]

If the demasoni breed, any of you are welcome to some free fry.

I just got them via fedex yesterday :)