close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Musty basement smell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Sep 18, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I would like to know how to get rid of, or minimize the musty smell in my basement. My house is only 10 years old, and the basement is clean and partially finished. The smell can get quite strong if I don't keep a circulating fan and window fan going 24/7.

There is no leaking water anywhere, it is dry. There is I believe a few inches of water in the blocks as there is some slight mold growth/paint flaking in a few spots around the bottom. Half of the basement has carpeting and furniture and the other half is storage. It is a little bit dusty too from the storage part. Is the smell from just those few spots along the base of the wall?

I am thinking of buying a de-humidifier and/or an air purifier/ozone/ionizer thing. Will these items work? Are they very expensive? Is a dehumidifier loud?

Or do I need to do a good douching and vacuum and wipe down all the storage items and move them around to get under and between? What cleaners should I use? I need your help as I like to "escape" down there for football and poker and the smell is getting worse over time.

2. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

I am a man who appreciates a good basement. My advice is a dehumidifier. My basement is dry but I still get that musty smell after several days of rain and the dehumidifier takes that smell right out. I bought the biggest one Home Depot had and I don't regret it at all. It is not very loud but you could always just run it at night. IMO it is a 100% must have with most basements.

PL............

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Get a dehumidifier, i had the smell not long after i refinished my basement because sump pumps quite working. I bought the biggest one that lowes had an it took the smell right out and all the moister in the air and area. It has an automatic setting that turns it on and off as needed. They are almost a must have with a finished basement. They make a little noise but mine is over in the unfinished area of the basement away from everything else and still controls the whole basement.

4. "J"

"J"

There is a chemical that comes in a 10 or 20lb bag and for the life of me I can't remember what it is well it absorbs the moister and take the musty smell out of the basement, I'll probably remember tonight sometime and post what it is, you put it in a bucket and it absorbs the smell. If anyone remembers post it to help me out. Thanks "J"

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Are you talking about Calcium chloride or carbonate or something like that? Little white nodules? I've seen that before. Never thought of that. Does Febreeze kill mildew or just take away smell? I have never used it but have heard alot about it.