close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Musky Night Fishing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by kemble1982, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Anyone ever do any night fishing for muskies?

2. From what I've been told, this is the time to do it. Haven't tried it yet myself.

3. Here’s an excerpt from an article by Capt Marty Papke titled Midnight Muskies:

“Fish of 10,000 casts is the theory we hear when talking with the musky crowd. This myth can be shortened if applying a few easy to learn methods. Night fishing is one of them. Musky areas abound throughout the United States and these same tactics can be used with success anywhere. What night fishing for muskies will do for you is eliminate several things and also improve your fishing success. One will be boating traffic and the other will be a good number of fisherman. Boating traffic throughout any region can create some problems when it comes to fishing. If your fortunate and have many good musky lakes to choose from as I do you can be mobile and find lesser travelled lakes. This same policy goes for large numbers of fisherman. Listen and learn of several night fishing tips to increase your musky catching odds. On the other hand some of the biggest fish in the lake or lakes you fish will only come out and feed after dark.”

Here is a link to the entire article.

http://www.muskiecentral.com/articles/papke-muskie.htm

‘kemble1982’ Let’s give this Midnight Muskie action a try sooner than later!

4. We've done some night fishing.

Be careful though. It's a good idea to secure the deck before dark. Put away all gear that is not going to be needed. Stow all baits except the one's you're currently using to avoid the hazard. Have lights, pliers, jaw spreaders, etc all in a designated place so you don't have to fumble around in the dark. Common sense stuff really, but the risk of injury does increase a bit after dark.

If you're going to be casting, be especially careful and notify each other in advance when moving fore and aft for any reason so as to avoid getting whacked with a lure when your partner is casting. We do this as rule when casting, day or night.

If you're going to troll, you might consider putting out only one rod each. We usually run two rods each during the day, but any tangles caused by errant baits can be a real nightmare after dark.

Flotation vests add a layer of safety as always.

Oh and don't forget the bug repellant!:D

5. Second the bow thing. Fishhhhh could tell a story of a kid that didnt make it home after hookin one. Not saying night fishin is dangerous but worth having floor lights.

6. Its A Blast As Long As You Have Somebody Cool To Fish With. Most My Friends Want To Leave After Dark And Thats When Alot Of The Action Starts. I Caught Many Night Time Muskies The Past Couple Years I've Been Fishing For Them.

7. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

One of my customers says he catches alot of musky on live squirrels.Is this legal?

8. night time is a great time to catch muskies but you cant wimp out at 11PM. to have a successfull muskie trip, you fish till dawn. Spring is my favorite time because muskies are easier to find. the best technique is to vertical jig sonars. i always have the best muskie luck in pymatuning near the opening in the causway. one trip last may we caught a 48in 31lbs,a 36in and missed a couple more. what makes vertical jigging with sonars fun is you will also catch lots of walleye:)