Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Standard tackle, kayak, v hull John boat with 8 horse outboard
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife got me this big ole lure. I'm usually using much smaller stuff and targeting bass, crappie, or catfish. I've seen enough pictures to know there are muskies to be caught around here, but I've never targeted them. I'm in Hamilton County, and I have a little John boat I just got for the family, so CC, East fork, Cowan lakes are closest to me. I also hit the GMR around hamilton a lot, and I'd like to start working the ohio river some.
What do you think my best approach would be for a muskie with this thing, provided I don't lose it on a stump immediately.

·
Harry
945 Posts
Looks like bull dawg, but smaller. Good baits. I’ve caught a couple at CC on “micro dawgs”, which are smaller than yours. I suggest you read som articles and watch videos for beginner musky fishing.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Cowan has a few left over from the stocking. I hear East Fork is popping them out despite the fact that stocking stopped a few years ago. CC has them and they get big. Problem there is the boat traffic but there are several areas you can get into with a jon boat and catch them without getting beat up. If you’re going to target them, get the equipment and tools to do so safely. A big net, hook cutters (I bought a set of cutters from Lowes that are small and work fine), looong needle nose pliers and cut proof gloves (gill rakers will get ya). Braid and leaders are the established set up although bass, crappie and saugeye fishermen have netted many more than many of us targeting them with heavy equipment.

Like the one post said, read up on them or watch videos on fishing for and handling them. A good fish and a jon boat would be a fun ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts