close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muskrat problem

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by striperwiper, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Anybody know how to get rid of one from a pond without dynamite?

2. It Used To Work 30 Yrs Ago!

3. AEFISHING

AEFISHING Crappie Freak

Put a trap in front of their hole or use a foot trap. Pretty easy to catch. I used to catch about a hundred each year when I was younger.

4. 22 rifle works well also ;)

5. If you can find their active holes you can do a lot of damage on them with a few conibears. But you may want to carry along the 22 like Truck said for the chance at a bonus kill.;)

6. but I haven't found a hole so far unless he is living in one of the drainpipes that feed into the pond. There was a bunch of grass and leaves in one of them. So where can I get one of these traps?

This is my father's pond and I'm not over there but maybe once a month. Saw him in January and again yesterday. Don't want him taking the young fish before the pond gets established.

Seriously, thanks for the help! I have never trapped before but I know I got to get rid of this thing. Next problem is the geese.

7. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I think muskrats are vegetarians. I doubt he'll hurt the young fish but they can wreak havoc on a dam.

8. If you are not able to find a hole or at least an active slide area then you may have a tough time trapping him. The fact that you are not seeing any holes is a good sign that they have not taken over the pond.

You don't need to worry though about them taking your fish however. Muskrats are herbivores and will feed primarily on the grasses along the shoreline. The risk they present in a pond is that they will put their den holes in the dam or other areas of the pond and cause structural damage and ultimately a leaky pond. If the muskrats are present and are left to dwell untargeted they will reach large numbers rather quickly. What I would suggest is to continue to do visual scans of the shoreline looking for holes. Often times these holes do not form at the water level but rather down in the pond a bit and angle up under the bank. They are usually visible by the clear path that gets created from their constant travel.

As far as buying the traps, you should be able to buy them at pretty much any local hunting outdoor supply store. If they do not happen to have them then they should be able to point you in the right direction. Bear in mind that muskrat trapping has a closed season which ends at the end of February until next fall. I am not telling you not to trap them but merely that there is a season and if you do you may not want to let everyone know.;)

I hope this info helps.

9. Hey Seaturd! You stole my line.;) I just took a lot longer to say it.:D

10. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

12 gauge & your favorite sixer for breakfast

11. AEFISHING

AEFISHING Crappie Freak

I have caught numerours rats out of tiles. If the tile is small put a connibear in front of it or use a foot trap. They are good eating.

12. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

The guys are correct about them not eating your fish. I talked to a biologist from OSU last summer about this same problem and he said not to worry about my fish. Causing leaks is another story though. My pond is basically dug out with no dam, so the muskrats build dens on the island. Actually they are kind a cool to have out there.

13. Larry,

You could always play the hideous 70's song "Muskrat Love" at 200 decibels as the military did to Noriega's compound with New Kids on the Block music!! :D

Danny

14. Can't believe somebody hasn't suggested that already, lol. Might get rid of some pesky neighbors also.

I know the rats aren't supposed to eat fish, but the first time I saw him, I swear he came out of the water with a small bluegill in his mouth. I could have been mistaken but he went into the water with nothing and came out with something. So now I'm wondering if it's something else besides a muskrat. Looked to small for a beaver or otter. No other big bodies of water around, just other ponds.

Guess I need some detective work but don't have the time.

15. If it did infact have a small Bgill in its mouth it might have been a mink. If tail was not fur covered it was muskrat, if fur on the tail-mink. I've got some #110 conibears (muskrat size) if you need them or need help. I use to run a trap line and can identify mink/muskrat by tracks etc. PM if you want some help.

16. Striperwiper: Like hunterm said if it came out of the water with a fish in it's mouth you probably saw a mink. It sounds to me like it might be staying in that tile with all the leaves and stuff in it. If it is a muskrat you could ask around and probably find someone to help you get rid of it,but like it was said just do it don't advertise the season is over for this year! As for the geese a few fire crackers about dark might help there!