close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muskingum Watershed gas drilling and fracking

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rebu, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Hello, What's the general feeling about MWCD leasing lands around Piedmont for drilling/fracking? I was nearly in negotiations to buy a home down there next spring, but I'm rather hesitant right now. Has there been any negative impact at Leesville, Seneca, etc. where they have already broke ground? I've heard nightmare stories about wells going bad all around these drilling areas. These essentially drill holes deep into the earth and then force millions of gallons of water into the holes. This can't be good.

2. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I don't understand how people can think that shooting poison into the Earth makes it simply go away. That sht will still be there and someday it will come out. Those people doing it now will be snug under their big expensive tombstones by then.

Gottagofishn, jeffmo and percidaeben like this.

3. All that matters in this world anymore is the o-holy dollar and it's disgusting.

percidaeben likes this.
  4. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Honestly I'm puzzled at the whole Drill Baby Drill thing. There's a lesson to be learned from the 1880s gas and oil boom in northern Ohio and Indiana. They thought the gas was inexhaustible and they wasted it, and blew out their reserves in only four years.

Now we know these reserves are finite but we're still in a pants-on-fire hurry to extract everything we can find, NOW. What about 100 years from now, what will we have left for them? Nobody thinks ahead.

percidaeben likes this.
  5. Doboy

Doboy HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins

#1,,,, No matter what, JUST KEEP OUR 'ENERGY' DOLLARS HERE!
    (have faith,,, our 'watchdogs' will protect us. BTW, I have 5-6 horizontals across the street,,, nothing blew-up yet!!)

lol,,, & Those drillers better hurry!
    SOLAR is, & will take over the world!
    Read my post in the lounge,,,,,,,,,,,

You'ns Better sell ALL of your 'gas & oil' stocks NOW! ;>)

percidaeben likes this.
  6. bobk

bobk

Those with land like it and those without hate it.

7. jray

jray

Lol ok 98% water and sand 2% other stuff that also came from the ground "poison ". So that we can extract something from the earth which was made from organic elements which were made by the compounds that our tailpipes expel! This agenda blows my mind. Do you realize the amount of gas we could be saving if the government was investing in fossil fuel technology rather than subsidizing 150,000 dollar chevy volts so they can be sold for 35,000 so "educated" people who feel bad about the environment can feel better when they drive. Drill baby drill! When something else becomes economically feasible, capitalism will find it develop it and we can finally drive and heat or homes with grasshopper poop. Until then, fracking has two problems. 1) the people with the flaming water were willing to lie on tv and blame it for their water being on fire when that's been happening there for years and 2) it's got an unpleasant awkward name. Unproven buzz words, allegations, and talking points or money for landowners and cheaper gas for all? You decide

8. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

*raises hand* yes I admit to being educated. You should study geology and let that blow your mind. We're pumping that secret-formula stuff into the ground and it will still be there after we are in our graves.
    Teslacles Deviant to Fudd's First Law
    "It goes in, it must come out."

Capitalism will seek solutions, true. But capitalism wants short-term results without caring about the future. Maybe flaming kitchen faucets are a result of old practices but they point to the fact that results can take a long time to appear and a very long time to go away. I stand by my statement that we are pumping poison of undisclosed formulas and someday someone will get it back. We are screwing the future for our immediate gain.

But if you're OK with fracking fluids then pour yourself a frosty glass and enjoy.

9. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Often the educated are confused and mislead by all of those years of educators telling them what they are supposed to believe. The "secret formula" does have chemicals in it, but to the level of less than .5 %. 99.5% is water and sand and the rest are chemicals included at a level deemed safe for dilution by the EPA, and this is HEAVILY regulated by the EPA. It has not always been this way, but it is now. You are very right about how natural gas was wasted, and is still wasted, but feel you are lost when you complain about "nobody thinks ahead" with regard to current use. The 100 year future you mentioned will have little use for fossil fuels and good business, and good sense, says use your available proven resources while they are available. If you are "educated" as opposed to 'trained', you should know this already.

The current energy alternatives in wind and solar do not generate enough energy to pay for their own production, installation, and commission. The giant, ugly, noisy windmills never pay for themselves with the energy they generate in their lifetime, not a one of them. What they do provide is millions in Federal subsidies, grants, and investment tax credits that make the purchasers/users of the equipment a fortune. Same as the solar fields that are popping up, they pay the company that buys, installs, and uses them for their business a ton of monies, and they also provide them severely cut rate energy rates from the grid, all in an effort to push the 'green movement'. It is PURE BS, sorry. A manufactured industry that feeds off of the guilt ridden, feel good, "green" crowd but really provides nothing. In fact, it bleeds us thru tax dollars, realizes a fortune, and provides us red herrings in return.

The most efficient fuel we have in this world is nuclear but we have not yet found a way to practically manage the waste. Our Science Community will undoubtedly develop efficient and clean energy in our not too distant future but you will not see its implementation until the current source of reliable energy, fossil fuel, is nearing depletion. No reason to, what we have works perfectly and there is no sense in abandoning it, and the folks that control these things are right about that. I would not hesitate in purchasing property in an area where the process of hydraulic fracking was being practiced, personally.

SJB, crappiedude, I Fish and 5 others like this.
  10. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Wouldn't it make sense to see that fossil fuel depletion coming, and be ready for something else before the well runs dry?

Nobody knows how much gas we have in the ground and maybe it isn't the best idea to suck on that straw as hard as we can.

jeffmo and percidaeben like this.
  11. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

My buddy works for a company the does gas drilling site services. He has told me that the EPA is looking over their shoulder constantly! And, the person in charge of the well site is dead serious about making sure things are done by the book!

Also, the term "fossil fuel" may be a misnomer as it was decided by fiat. There are those who feel that the processes that produce crude oil and natural gas are still at work within the earth. That, and the idea that some of these deposits, such as the Utica shale gas deposits, are far deeper than fossils would be expected to be found.

And yes, there are elements that occur naturally within the earth that are deadly. There are signs in some of the volcanic parks in Hawaii warning of areas not to go into because of poisonous gasses issuing from the ground.

Fishtracker1 and Slatebar like this.
  12. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Yeah you can make a case that one volcano eruption can kick out a lot more nastiness than a lot of man-made activity.

PapawSmith likes this.

13. It may be true that the EPA watches their every move, but accidents happen. When they do, Ohio profits again. In Tuscarawas, there was a spill where two million gallons of sludge spilled into a stream. Ohio got about $7,000 per acre for selling the drilling rights, then received more money when a $2.3 million fine was imposed. Doesn't cost them a dime because the drilling company pays for the cleanup. Money coming in everywhere.

14. Thanks to all for their input. Today, I contacted the realtor and told them I was no longer interested in the property. The retirement home of my dreams vanished just as quickly as it appeared. Time to look elsewhere, and it probably won't be in Ohio. I just can't take the chance. Dozens of well applications come in every month from every Tom, Dick and Harry, and it seems they approve all of them. At that rate, the entire county will be covered with drill rigs like some of the western states are covered with windmills. I know the counties are greedy as can be, but when an organization like the MWCD gives in to their greed as well, all is lost.

15. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Here's an article about people in the oil industry complaining about groundwater contamination caused by fracking. There's a nice quote from one source saying there's no problem and if there were a problem they could clean it up. How do you clean up an aquifer? Shoot sponges down a borehole?

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060065209

16. I'm in favor of fracking since it provides cheap natural gas and has lowered prices at the pump. Right now, we need this to power our economy. If gas prices were still the same as in 2008, we'd still be in a recession. It was a big factor in the start of the last one. The inspection and review/approval process for these wells should be really tough since they could potentially pollute groundwater that we all use.

I want to see solar and wind power developed. We should provide grants for research into all new technologies. That's how we stay ahead in the global race. Hopefully, new research will make them more efficient. I think we're close. I like the potential of fuel cells to power cars in the future which will eliminate the need for gasoline.

I still see a future for oil & gas in the world for the next 50 years at least. Most of the stocks I own are in the oil & gas industry, since I see oil prices coming back from historic lows 2 years ago and the stock prices of all these companies are still recovering. Also own stock in fracking sand suppliers. Right now, I'm all in, but also looking at new opportunities in solar.

17. I'm not an expert on groundwater contamination cleanup, but I think the way they do it is to pump the groundwater out, send it through some large equipment that filters the contaminents out, and then they pump it back into the ground. It's an expensive process that they've used on superfund sites. Probably will never get all the contaminents out, but will reduce them to "acceptable" levels.

18. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I was being sarcastic. You can't clean an aquifer. Once it's polluted you have to wait for it to purge itself and that can take decades or centuries, depending on the aquifer. Even then there will still be traces of the pollutant(s) basically forever.

That was the main point of the protests against that Dakota pipeline. If it pollutes the Ogallala Aquifer, several million people will be screwed in the Great Plains.

percidaeben likes this.
  19. A wonderful post and sensible approach. I wish this middle ground approach was used more often. It seems everything becomes one extreme or the other and nothing gets done as a result. Because of our demand we will need to rely on fossil fuels but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at alternatives. Clearly there are pros and cons for both of these methods but why put your eggs all in one basket, in the near future I hope to see a combination of the two meeting our demands and longer down the road whatever has the lowest impact on our environment. As outdoor enthusiasts especially, I don't think any of us want algae blooms, contaminated water sources, or dirty air.
    The air and water quality we have in certain areas particularly over seas can be mind blowing. Heck I don't know what's worse, clearing lines from seaweed or pieces of plastic and old chip bags while trolling.