close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muskingum River Conditions/Reports

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KatKing34, May 24, 2007.

1. Was wondering if anyone has tried their luck on the Muskingum for Flatheads yet this spring. Will be headed there this weekend "Philo Pool". Just wondering what the conditions are like. Hoping with the rain this weekend I will be catching it at a good time. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    KatKing34

2. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

The only thing I've heard about it is that they're catching plenty of cats up at Dillon Falls..... but that's not surprising.

3. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

Hey, Whats up man? There was a few guys in the bait shop Monday who were up by Gaysport fishing ,what ever pool that is up there . But they caught a few Flatties and about 12 Channels on Shad/cut Shad. And the 2 winning fish from the Outlaw Tournament that was held this past weekend came from Stockport. A 20# Flattie and a 31# Flattie. Anyways Good Luck this weekend..

4. Thanks OSU_Fisherman

Riverwader, got a guy from work want me to take him out catfishing. We tried last year and never hooked so I promissed him we would this year. From the sounds of things should be pretty good fishing. Hows the daughter doing?

5. RiverWader

Kat, We took her back to Columbus Tuesday, and they said the Fracture was healing nicely, She gott a hard cast put on it , The pins are still in her arm , but they arent bothering her , and there isnt no more pain .
    As for the Fishing, I hope you guys have better Luck than the last time We were there:D .

6. BrianC

BrianC Bass Angling Guru

I know of a 28 and a 39 that came near Stockport in the last week or so. I'll be dousing some Goldfish around down there this weekend.

7. BrianC~ Sounds good I'll be doing the same plan on hittin the river Sunday night after we get some rain. Thanks for the post!

KatKing34

8. RiverWader~ Glad to hear everything is going good with Kenlynn. She's a tough little girl. Tyler's got bumps and briuses all over his head along with a black eye. Those first steps are killer. Learning to walk is rough on ya.

I'll be fishing the Philo pool which is the one I go to regularly so we should do better than last time. We had never fished that pool before. I let you know how we do and I'll try and remember the digital camera.

Later,
    KatKing34

9. RiverWader

Well Kat, How did you guys do?????????

10. were is a good place to fish on the muskingum river, i have never fished it, i would prefer something within in a couple of hrs drive of canton thanks for any info

11. RiverWader~ We got 3 Flatties ranging between 7 and 10 lbs. Just babies!!!
    One guy that was running some trot lines said fishing had been hot up until the last week or so. He said he pulled a 25 lb'er and she was full of eggs. So it sounds like we caught them right in the middle of spawn. I'll give it a couple weeks and it should get better again. I'll problably hit it again come Father's Day weekend.

Later,
    KatKing34

12. catfisherman~ Just about any pool on the Muskingum holds pretty good waters for catfishing. They key is locatiing which area the fish are in. If you can find a deeper hole that has a good amount of structure/creek mouth or shallow flat or something adjacent to the hole chances are is will hold Flatheads. Below any of the Dams is great catfishing also.

KatKing34

13. RiverWader

Kat King , Atleast you caught a few! And if your Pop's cant make it Fathers Day , Give me a shout , I just got the cat poles ready to go!

14. Slabs!

Slabs! Multispecies Journeyman

Fished the Muskingum from Stockport to the Ohio. Caught 1 Saugeye, countless number of Drum, 1 white bass and 1 Smallie at Stockport on the mill side. Those Drum sure are fun on an ultralight. Caught them one after another for about an hour straight on jigs. Caught 9 Saugeye, 4 crappies, 1 flathead, 1 striper, 1 white bass, 1 Smallmouth, 1 Largemouth, and a gar at Devols. Didn't have any luck at Luke Chute, because they kept opening up the lock and letting boats through. Did manage 1 smallie though. All fish were released unharmed! :) Definitely was a fun day! The water is so shallow right now you could wade out to the middle of the river at most of the dams. Only had to use 1/16 oz jigheads. If that water comes up about 2 feet the fishing is going to be incredible!

15. BrianC

BrianC Bass Angling Guru

I fished Sunday night and Monday in the pool between Stockport and McConnelsville. Only caught 2, one around 6 lbs and one around 8 lbs. Both on goldfish.

Also caught a good 2 pound spot on the sandbar close to our place. Had me wishing I had brought the Triton down.

I do most of my catfishing in that pool, and last year we caught a ton of good ones. I think I could improve my catches by using a small jon boat to run my baits out and drop them rather than casting - may look into that if I can squeeze in more catfishing between all the bass tournaments!