Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the week I start my muskie fishing as I always take a week at West Branch. I did not get to do as much chasing as I like because the kids love that tube! Anyhow my younger daughter got her first and I think it was Luredaddy that came by for the release. Fish was a curled up in the net 37+ incher and was healthy but slender. Put up the best muskie fight as of yet in the last few years. Just mangled the lure and fought like a giant. My daughter was thrilled and seemed to not really like the idea holding the fish, so I did the honor and she gracefully cut off my head in the pics. Prolly better that way!

Second is a bit bigger fish caught today at Berlin. Much heavier fish with a bad attitude! Fish was Ticked off and wanted to leave a mark! My first mate did the catching on this one and it was all his 12 year old arms could handle. Great week for us! Now if I can just find that muskie angler log addy...if you would steve? LOL Oh Jaretts fish was 41 inches roughly and had a ton of girth!

Both are swimming tonight for you folks to go have a run at!

Hopefully I will get these pics right

Attachments

·
28 Posts
Them are both nice fish. I caught my first one yesterday at W. Branch, 35", first time I've ever been out on a boat strictly fishing for muskie, Looking forward to getting out there and doing it again..getting something a little bigger next time. Anyway, Congrats!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Trautman
Do you run Planer Boards with the configuration of those Rod holders?
if not, don't the seide Poles tangle with the back poles or do the lures just run real close but don't tangle?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Brian, I didn't know you were a serious fisherman, that is one good looking berlinski.
We need to caravan up to Erie for the Perch bonanza going on right now, great for the kids your boat would do just fine.
Eddie

PS. I was comparring bellies in that last photo, can't decide the winner. LOL

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took some time to get it all figured out (bout 3 years worth of tangles and a bunch of learning to turn slow) I have an inline planer I use on occasion but I stagger my runs. I usually run one of the back lines in the prop wash which puts some fair distance between the other three. That lure is usually big and shallow running short. The others are also somewhat staggered depending on where the bait fish are hanging. Run thru them and you'll catch your share of the fish. IMHO But there are others here who are real pros at this, I just get after them when the walleye are slowed down. Oh by the way we did pick up 2 walleye yesterday at Berlin but both were 13 to 14 inches.

Brian

Heres a pic of the big grump going home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Nice job!! I am sure your daughter was thrilled. I saw you tubing the next day after I saw you release the muskie. What year is your Lund? Model?
John

·
Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder
510 Posts
Great job nice fish
Be careful with the 2 all black rod holders on the opposite side of the boat from your daughter they are known to break if your drag is to tight and can result in a lost rod and reel it has happened to me and several other people in the past the Fishon rod holders with the white rod retainers are ok I have never heard of them breaking.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Those are some nice Muskies!
Think I can get your daughters number? haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
man thoose are some nice fish must have been a fun week of fishing .john and holly told me .you just pretended to fish hahahaha guess they were wrong !!!!was nice getting to meet ya by the way , make sure you stop in somtime to the shop and say hello when you are out ! scott

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks fellas heading out again today. LAST DAY OF VACATION. John she is a 1978 vfr 15. (actually a 15.5) Love that boat. She does not have all the frills of a new one but she runs and fishes perfect. Thanks for the info on the rod holders. Setting the drag is a last step in every line set on my rig. The harder plastic of the solid black ones make them a bit more rigid and the are built much better than the other ones with the white collar. Planning on replacing them all this winter. I guess the harder plastic is why they would snap. I will pay extra attention now thanks for the heads up!

Brian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
78 inches on the beam. But check your lures and how they run about 10 feet back. The lures will and are able to be tuned to run where you want them and the line counter reels help me to know the stagger on the line sets.

brian

·
Registered
564 Posts
78 inches on the beam. But check your lures and how they run about 10 feet back. The lures will and are able to be tuned to run where you want them and the line counter reels help me to know the stagger on the line sets.

brian

So by stagger you mean just different lengths of line out but do all your lures dive to the same depth or do you stagger deep divers with shallow divers?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do both. I have had enough tangled messes to be more than aware of what lure is going on what line. Yes I usually do not run the same diver next to one another. It may be the same style but have a different lip. Keeping in mind I probably have well over a hundred lures in the boat and many different kinds and depths. If I can run a deep diver off of one of the center poles and then run a big shallow lip off of the other in the prop wash then I can run both at the same length because of the depths they are running at. That allows me to run any combo I want on the two outside rods. I do run them longer than the inside two. Which catches the most fish...couldn't say one over the other. Prop wash lure will surprise ya. Hard to believe these big guys will get that dang close to ya but I don't think they have much fear. There are much much better muskie fisherman on this site than I maybe they will chime in with a few ideas.

Brian

·
Registered
564 Posts
I do both. I have had enough tangled messes to be more than aware of what lure is going on what line. Yes I usually do not run the same diver next to one another. It may be the same style but have a different lip. Keeping in mind I probably have well over a hundred lures in the boat and many different kinds and depths. If I can run a deep diver off of one of the center poles and then run a big shallow lip off of the other in the prop wash then I can run both at the same length because of the depths they are running at. That allows me to run any combo I want on the two outside rods. I do run them longer than the inside two. Which catches the most fish...couldn't say one over the other. Prop wash lure will surprise ya. Hard to believe these big guys will get that dang close to ya but I don't think they have much fear. There are much much better muskie fisherman on this site than I maybe they will chime in with a few ideas.

Brian

Thank You Sir

1 - 20 of 26 Posts