close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muskie Tourneys

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by catking, Aug 21, 2004.

1. catking

catking Banned

Hey Guys and Gals- I have a question for you muskie chasers. When you all enter any of the tournaments, how do you keep track of the ones you catch? I take it you cannot live-well them,or put them on a stringer. How do you all do this? Scale sample/picture of fish and weighing scale? Somebody in a boat watching with short wave radio? I have no idea.......... CATKING :)

2. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

I think it is a honor system locally! It's best if the fish is veiwed. I've only been in small tourneys. Big money tournaments are a whole different story. I think sometimes a witness may go in the boat. I'm learning as I go, and the people are great. There's three things that need to happen when a catch is made. 1. The best release is one where you don't have the fish out long, or at all. 2. Make sure you get a scale sample(it wont't hurt the fish and the info is required for future stockings) 3. Take a girth and lenth measurement(there are muskie sites that can estimate the weight)

Also they use 80 Lb line and tree trunk rods mainly to get a hooked fish in(horsed) and back to the water as soon as possible. Now with that said what if you hook one to deep, Cut the hook. There is a agreement being started between bass fisherperson's and muskie fisherperson's. Since a lot of bass fisherperson's catch muskies. And muskie fisherperson's catch some big bass on some of those large baits. They have been honoring a respectable release. It's a win / win deal!!!

Also anyone interested in a muskie club contact me by email, We have intrest now we need commitment.
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzzzy