close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muskie Tackle

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by IRONHORSE, Feb 1, 2005.

1. I have some questions about Muskie tackle...

I am looking for a good rod and reel and am wondering if the Pete Maina combo from Bass Pro Shops is a quality setup.

Also, what gear ratios do you recommend for different baits???
    crankbaits?
    topwater?
    spinnerbaits?
    gliders?

Thanks for any help that you all can provide. I am new to this forum and am looking forward to some Muskie action this year.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Ironhorse

WELCOME TO OGF!

I'm not the one to answer your question, sorry. There is the "Fishermens Warehouse" in Columbus that could help. I not familiar with the set-up you posted. Is it conventional or spinning? Are you casting or trolling?

<>< Baitkiller ><>

3. The Pete Maina set-up is a baitcaster. It is in the Bass Pro Shops '05 Fishing catalog.

4. I have one of the Pete Maina combo’s that I purchased last fall. Since I only used it for a couple of months I can’t say how durable the outfit is but so far I’m well satisfied. The reel is very smooth, much smoother than my Garcia’s. The rod has set of balancing weights which screw into the butt of the rod. I’m not sure if all Maina rods come with the weight set but mine did.

5. thanks for the info. I am headed to Bass Pro today after work to take a closer look at the rod/reel.

If anyone has more info, I'd appreciate it.

6. Generally speaking, a higher ratio reel is helpful when using jerk baits & you are continually picking up slack line. A lower ratio reel takes some of the work out of using high resistance baits - crank baits & spinners w/large blades.

Regarding the Maina reels, 5.2 or thereabouts is very average for musky reels while 4.2 is a little below average. Don't think that you can go horribly wrong w/either.

I use 5.3 Abus for everything but have a couple of 4.7 Abus that "seem" better to me for the high effort stuff. I'm told by friends that the 6.4 Abus are a workout for anything but jerk baits.

7. I've witnessed two pete Maina rods bust in half of fair sized fish. Gader Mountain has a "Muskie" series of rods that seem to work reall nice though.....TightLines!

8. I fish exclusively muskies and have for several years. I am also a tackle fanatic, so here is my two cents worth.

For the price you are not going to beat the Pete Mania outfit. I have had one for approximately 5 years and have never had it fail me. The rod is very tough and go with the 5.2.1 gear ratio for most lures. For $140.00 you can't go wrong.

Abu Garcia is also a good midrange reel. Stay with the 5.3.1 gear ratio for most applications. I have a 6500C3 and the 5600C4 that I have been very happy with. The C4 is 6.3.1 and I like it only for small lures and in particular for burning rattle traps in the spring in the shallows.

My favorite muskie outfits are the St. Croix Premier MH 7' 0" , 7'6" MH, and the 7'2" MH. I have matched these with the Shimano Calcuttas in the CT400s
    for most applications and the CT250 for bucktails and small twitch baits. These combinations will run in the $320.00 range. The quality can be felt with these outfits as soon as you pick one up, but they may be a bit pricey for the guy just starting out.