Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After stopping in at mark's bait shop and picking up some stand up jigs and some chomper skirted twin tail grubs (at the advice of a very helpful employee) I headed to West Branch to do some bass fishing. I was posted under a bridge and as I was reeling in my line just went completely slack. It didn't feel like a snag or my knot coming undone but I just shrugged it off, rerigged and cast in the exact same place only to find the exact same result. I moved 20 feet and after 5-8 cast, same thing. Now I knew a muskie was causing havok. I was lucky enough to see him barely breech the surface so I know he's there. All in all I caught 2 really nice size bass but this muskie has 3 of my hooks and lures and I can't stop thinking of how I should have brought him in. I doubt he'll still be there but I want to go back and at least try to land this fish. I clearly have the right bait but he's just chomping through my line. I'm using spiderwire high performance braid 8lb line which clearly will not fly.

What line should I use in trying to catch this thief?

·
Registered
971 Posts
are you sure it was not zebra mussels cutting your line? I would think you would feel a musky grab your lure before it would bite you off.

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
ive never had problems with any species of fish with teeth..muskie..pike walleye.. etc.. its usually their gills that get me. but its been a while since ive had anything happen like that. i would suppose a big flathead or a muskie prolly would have enough teeth to do so tho.. but eyecatchum has a good point ive had that happen as well. seems like fireline to me is easier to cut when it comes across a sharp object then mono.. mono it seems to just fray. imo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts