Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after another rod and reel. Been looking at the gloomis muskie xh rod. Has anyone used them? I have the Daiwa Lexa 400 reel already and have had no complaints out of it what so ever. But looking for something different. I know lewis has one but low line cap is the draw back to me with it. Does it matter that much on line if you have a rod to back it up? Or do I go with what I already have and get another Daiwa?

·
Multi Species Angler
6,095 Posts
Diawa Lexa is a fine reel. I just bought some St Croix Mojo Musky rods, 8'. I like them! I had a GLoomis 8'6" MH rod that I broke the tip on last year. That still stings.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
St Croix make excellent musky rods, i really enjoy fishing with them and their warranty is unmatched. Tranx 400 is a good reel Tranx 500 is an very good reel (the best), Lexa HD are a superior reel the regular ones I had a couple and really like them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Scooped up an Okuma EV X XH 9'3 beginning of this season. I'm absolutely in love with it, it's light, comfortable and handles double 10's. Price point is excellent too

·
Registered
533 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it. Looking for an all around set up or want to burn large blades, toss rubber?
Abu Garcia Revo toro series, your diawa, and Shimano tranx in any size are good reel options. My favorite rods are from St Croix and tackle industries rods. Looking for a reason to get another rod so I can try out the new tackle industries rod with the built in "pistol" grip.
Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a cork St. Croix Mojo Musky rod, and 2 of the newer, winn grip St. Croix Mojo Musky rods. I really like the winn grips a lot more than the cork. Fatter grip, not slick when wet, and very limited wear (so far) compared to cork (especially in a rod holder). Only negative so far is the ones I have are split grip, so the blank doesn't feel good against the ribs when pulling larger lures.

I don't worry too much about line capacity. I usually back it and put on ~100 yards of braid on. This year I reverse spooled that line on a different reel so I have untouched braided line.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lewis super duty 300 said I can put on 190 yards of mono 14 lbs test. I like running the power pro 80lbs or the sufix 832 65 with a starter of mono. So i should be able to get 125 to 150 yards on you think it would be OK? I just uploaded a picture of the rod I found that I like. I have 1 bass rod by them and love it. For the price its hard to pass up? Most of my baits are 2 to 7 oz. Alot of gliders jerkbait. What power?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
You might check gander outdoors they (at one time) had musky rods by SAKANA. Decent rods that won't break your pocket book. I believe you can still get them online. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
The lewis super duty 300 said I can put on 190 yards of mono 14 lbs test. I like running the power pro 80lbs or the sufix 832 65 with a starter of mono. So i should be able to get 125 to 150 yards on you think it would be OK? I just uploaded a picture of the rod I found that I like. I have 1 bass rod by them and love it. For the price its hard to pass up? Most of my baits are 2 to 7 oz. Alot of gliders jerkbait. What power?
Yeah, that will be plenty of line. Like I said too, you can reverse spool it the following year on another reel to save money and essentially use "fresh" braid still. I don't know much about G.loomis rods, but the price doesn't look bad. Seems like the XH would fit for what you're throwing too.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
DO NOT buy from that site, it's a scam from oversees. If it sounds to good to be true...it is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea i was looking at Marks today at the rods. i really do want to thanks everyone for there help. Too good to be true yea your right. not going to order from them. And the lewis 300 is what im going to order tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm after another rod and reel. Been looking at the gloomis muskie xh rod. Has anyone used them? I have the Daiwa Lexa 400 reel already and have had no complaints out of it what so ever. But looking for something different. I know lewis has one but low line cap is the draw back to me with it. Does it matter that much on line if you have a rod to back it up? Or do I go with what I already have and get another Daiwa?
St. Croix has far surpassed G. Loomis in the Musky Rod department. I still prefer G. Loomis for everything else, but in the Musky department St. Croix is far superior. Check out the Legend Tournament or Legend Elite, hands down better then any G. Loomis Musky rod I ever owned.. Daiwa Lexa 400 is a solid reel btw..

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Check out Thorne Brothers custom rods and musky shop online. They make the finest custom musky rods in the USA. Also they use the St.Croix legend blanks without the full St Croix cost and you get a custom build.

If you'll be using 80-100 lb on a H- xxH rod, I'd suggest a shimano Calcutta 400b or 401b as what I use.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Check out Thorne Brothers custom rods and musky shop online. They make the finest custom musky rods in the USA. Also they use the St.Croix legend blanks without the full St Croix cost and you get a custom build.

If you'll be using 80-100 lb on a H- xxH rod, I'd suggest a shimano Calcutta 400b or 401b as what I use.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the cheaper side Kastking makes a round reel that holds plenty of line. Kastking Rover 60R for around $50 or a low profile Kastking Kaspen 300 for about $110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Before I had some extra to spend,I always went with the abu Garcia c3 reels. They held up well for like and musky with 50-65 lb braid

1 - 20 of 20 Posts