Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have put my all into catching my first muckie this year. There's been many days into nights without sleep and just keep going and still have came up empty. Are there anyone out there willing to help me get me first one plz. Just no live bait just lures. If I don't have it I will buy it. Just 3 days ago had a guy tell me to use this lure and you would catch one. Well after fishing all night the night before it was a chance. I stayed there 17 hrs with 3 different lure and got 2 fish of ohio but no pike that day but I gave it my all. If there's anyone willing to help just know I will give my all and Listen to everything you say. So anyone pLz help

·
Multi Species Angler
6,215 Posts
Have you tried fishing with a guide? Maybe you can learn some different lure tactics and different ways to approach the different depth and which time of year to key on certain depths. It could really help you learn a LOT in a short period of time. Plus, they fish nearly every day so they're usually pretty keyed into where the fish are each day!

https://www.facebook.com/churningwatersbaitco/

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at west branch all night fishing for crappie and bass. Ended up with 28 nice white crappie but not a one muskie.
I have used them and the white black pink green ones. And the gliders walleye bluegills couple other ones some jerks from 4 to 8 inch Medusas and some other soft baits. And some fallers but nothing. And its not cast a few times and thats it. I would cast for hrs

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried fishing with a guide? Maybe you can learn some different lure tactics and different ways to approach the different depth and which time of year to key on certain depths. It could really help you learn a LOT in a short period of time. Plus, they fish nearly every day so they're usually pretty keyed into where the fish are each day!

https://www.facebook.com/churningwatersbaitco/
Would you be willing to show me

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have tried them. I have even tried 1 to 3 oz rattle taps bouncing them of the bottom at the damn up silver creek from them damn down to the camp grounds on the north side of the lake. All walking

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Bob Tomasko (440-834-1347) is probably the best muskie guide for Ohio muskie. He is a professional full of information. Book a trip, and you'll catch muskie for the rest of your life.

I'm sure that there are other great guides. My personal experience has been with Bob.

I never once regretted spending the money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pay attention to Solunar charts. Muskies feed during very short periods during the day. Moon phases are key. I do my best, during moonrise and moon-overhead. Full moon is over-rated for Muskie. Try to fish, after 3 days of stable high pressure, leading into an on-coming cold front. The action can be incredible. Trust me. I've been fishing for them for 40yrs.+. I've landed nearly 500. I've found these weather patterns and moon phases to be very reliable. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
If your fishing Westbranch, target the weeds for smaller musky and deep edges for bigger musky. I like burning bucktails though the weeds or a walk the dog topwater. Outer edge weeds i use a shallow crank or stick bait. Deeper divers for the deep edges. I will troll to take a break from casting and just relax but i feel as though trolling is a boring technique and i enjoy watching the follow and feeling them hit. Oh.... Dont forget your figure 8's,its much more important than you think as those musky will be a few foot behind your lure and you'll pull it out of the water without ever knowing they are there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea me and a friend ok well I did caught a lot of crappie last night. I took home my limit and all of them was anywhere from 2 to 6 feet of water. I laid into them up to about 1am but nothing more

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buddy son just caught one outta Brookville this past weekend while throwing blade baits for walleye. There's nice ones in Brookville lake

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I have had a lot of them following the lure but never hit. What am I doing wrong?
You'll have those days. Sometimes we will get a few and some days zero. If one follows but turns at the boat and doesnt want it,stick another lure straight down under the boat. Sometimes they'll grab the second lure. Caught my biggest musky that way. Thanks Charlie for bringing them in for me. Hahahahah

Also you might be fishing it to slow. I get most of mine fishing FAST. Musky are like missles and they can get it anytime they want,also have great eyes. Dont let them look at it to long.

·
multi-species angler
230 Posts
Last tip. Us musky guys like to throw big stupid baits because thats what we think the biggest musky want. In reality most of my musky have come off 5" shad or perch pattens and original mepps musky killers or magnum. Id probably have a nicer boat if I didn't waste all my money on big ol stupid musky lures.
And if you didn't buy all them Calcuttas

1 - 20 of 92 Posts