close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muskie chat 8:00pm 12/18/2004

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishcrazy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

I'm going CRAZZZZZY need some muskie discussion. I need some questions answered
    1. How cold is to cold for muskie streams or lakes?
    2. Do bass themselves eat more bass fingerlings than muskie or other fish?
    3. How in the world did catking catch a muskie?
    4. What if no one turned in scale samples?
    5. How are the muskie growing in caesar creek?
    6. Is there any intrest in a southwest muskie club, If not I'll just join the KY chapter of Muskies Inc.
    7. Whats your favorite bait, yes one that you have caught fish on?
    8. How did catking catch a muskie?
    Thats all for now. Come on up and learn from a pro maybe he or she will post.
    Long time listener first time caller. Merry Christmas Fishing in spring is 2 1/2 months away.
    Fishcrazzzzzzy

2. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

As long as you have open water you can catch Muskies in a lake. I never fish rivers for Muskies so I can't say how readily they will hit. I've lost them while ice fishing for Walleyes so the water is never too cold to stop them from hitting. Slow trolling smaller lures works good in cold water.
    After guarding the Bass fry for awhile and when they get slightly larger, the adult will attack the small ones and eat some . I would imagine one of these attacks would wipe out more Bass than a Muskie would during its lifetime. This is just natural. But, as Dennis Miller would say, " that's just my opinion, I could be wrong".

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Fishcrazy, that a cool idea man, may break the bordom a little on here. At least you will be able to talk about catching some fish. :D I hope some of our members show up.

4. paco

paco

ok i'm no pro but i do know alittle .
    i don't think it is every too cold . the ice just stops me from trolling . the thing to remember is to go slower 2 to 3 mph . lure size in cold water isn't that important big or small . scale cards help the odnr study muskie and plan witch lakes to stock . seems like the lakes with less scale cards getting turned it the stop stocking . as for my lure of choice i like wileys killers in jointed and straight along with kings in a green and gold finish called muskie . good luck and be patient take a buddy to bs with when you can seem to get them to hit . ;)

5. catking

catking Banned

DA KING will check in aroun 8 pm tonight and tell the story of " 1 " ........ :cool: Which is freakin one more than alot of you musky guys have. " 1 " was a whopping 36" long , not bad.......... :cool: ....... :cool: .~**~

6. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Its Great. I just did'nt expect to here about the "1". LOL If the time does'nt work because of honey doo's(catking) we can do another. We'll I learned how to shoot over 2 deer's back so I'm back to fishin for now. There was a boat on cowan lake today. BURR Looked to be drifting the deep water. I fished me sweet muskie spot with no strikes or follows. But I did manage to lose a 8.00 Dollar lure. So I guess my trip was sucessful.
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzy :D

7. Heard from a buddy yesterday that on sunday they landed 2, one was 44",one in the 30s and lost another in the 40's at the boat. He said they had the shad rounded thick as cord wood, as they were snagging huge shad on every pass. I cannot give anymore info as he would kill me, but as long as there is open water they still get em.

Scott

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

fishcrazyyy..you know that once the king gets goin with his "stories", he'll never stop.. you knew that right?? :p its ok tho.i heard it about 1000th times now.. :D :p :D
    i'll swingby to checkout tha king's stories...again.. :)

9. I don't think the water can get too cold to catch musky, We go to lake of the woods the first weekend of November every year for musky. Usually the water temp is 32-35. In the morning we have to break ice to get out of the bay. We are trolling jakes, triple d's and grandmas, lures 9-16" long at around 4-5 MPH and the musky and pike still slam them. LAst year the biggest fish we caught was 54.5" long with a girth of 28". Typically we will catch 2-7 fish a day trolling from sunup to sundown. I have also caught them through the ice at alum.

10. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'll gladly check in also. But please call me after Rick tells his 1 cast story. I've heard it so many time I can tell it! :D