Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone targeting muskie this time of yr on berlin? ive caught 2 in my life one at the milton spillway in march of 06 and one on leesville in january of 07casting the banks. hear theres some biggins in berlin..me and a buddy were gonna try casting for em..dont know if that would be a waste of time or if we need to troll for em..nor do i have an idea on where to start for em..im thinkin in the coves maybe around the millcreek camping area in deep water? if anyone can help me out on any advice on what to use or where to go id appreciate it alot..just gettin started on the teethy animals.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This one was caught over the weekend casting a crankbait bass fishing in Mill Creek. I dont know what happened but half of his tail was missing.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Untreated nylon netting will cut a Musky's tail to shreds. Treated Beckman, Frabill, etc...nets, really reduce the damage to fins and tails. They may still be damaged, but it is miniscule. Congratulations on the Catch!

John

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice fish Goodday, It looks alot like the one I caught two weeks ago in the same area. I was trolling a perch hot-n-tot for eyes. Those are some aggresive fish. Freakofnature, I have caught one each of the last two years in Berlin. One casting for eyes the other trolling for eyes. Also three days after I caught mine, I spoke to a guy casting a twister jig near the yacht club and he had just lost one. Evidenced by the broken pole he had and the fact that I seen him the next two nights at the same location and all he talk about the muskie that broke his pole in two. So I believe him. Good luck go get them.

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, thats a nice fish by the way..i hear everyone catches em walleye fishin maybe i shouldnt target them with the big jerkbaits etc.i dunno but the more i think about it..maybe west branch would be a better place to get a hook up..ill have to get some details from some of you muskie maniacs on that lake, neve fished it in my life. dont even know where a boat ramp is.lol so i got some learning to do..leesville is so close for me to fish, just kinda wanna see if theres any big ones around..buddy of mine says u can catch muskie on leesville up to 35 inchs just about any day.. those 40 plus inch fish are the hard ones to get, so i think westbranch will be my target next week, any suggestions on how fast i should troll and how far back i should put the lures? thanks again guys for the tips, ill post and let u guys kno how it goes

·
Registered
645 Posts
My suggestion for west branch Muskies would be to act like your bass fishing :). I have never not hooked up on 1 while bass fishing there.

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tried everything from giant buzzbaits to small cranks..no strikes not even a follow up..fished around the boat launch at mill creek and back into sum of the coves..rained all morning.

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i was out there..launched around 5 am..it was just a steady rain..had a real nice one on trolling up a hump on a chrome hot n tott..buddy of mine was cranking it in and had his drag set loose and he was tryin to fix that and reel and it came off. assumin a cat or an eye. did get 5 11 plus inch crappie trolling chrome DD big O and chrome n blue wally diver got those fish..no wind to drift tried a lil castingf w just lil ticks proly gills had a couple decent strikes dead stickin dunno what was goin on there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yea i was out there..launched around 5 am..it was just a steady rain..had a real nice one on trolling up a hump on a chrome hot n tott..buddy of mine was cranking it in and had his drag set loose and he was tryin to fix that and reel and it came off. assumin a cat or an eye. did get 5 11 plus inch crappie trolling chrome DD big O and chrome n blue wally diver got those fish..no wind to drift tried a lil castingf w just lil ticks proly gills had a couple decent strikes dead stickin dunno what was goin on there.
What is Dead Stickin ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts