Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone has found any yet. I went yesterday in the Columbus area but didn't find any. If you did find some, what part of the state did you find them?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I went to take a look yesterday & found 6 small blacks. To small to pick but I have them marked. They want to come up, but it's been to cold. The weekend warm-up should get them going. South ohio say the're finding them. The ones I saw were in eastern geauga co, Good Luck

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
bluefinn, can you describe what a likely black area consists of? you mainly look for a terrain type such as a high, sandy area, or do you mostly key in on certain trees?

i have been finding some gyromitra but havent been able to find any blacks. never found one before.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hi hardwaterfan, I only have this one spot for blacks & they only grow on one hillside. This hillside doesn't look any different than the rest of these woods. It has ash & tulip poplar trees with fern & mayapples on the ground. Ive looked in other woods that are similar & found none. I saw your name on some mushroom sites that I have found. Morels are hard for me to figure out, Every spring I go to new woods & in the last 10 years I have exactly 2 spots. My in-laws live in boliver & find way more than me, but they have never found blacks, just greys & yellows. they won't show me their spots & I won't show them mine. It's a deadlock. I wish they grew in more areas up here. They are addicting. Good luck hunting.

·
5,882 Posts
yeah they are a lot of fun to try to figure out. its a challenge. im hoping that at least i might be able to find some blacks once they get real big and old. then maybe in years to come i can get them early. really difficult to scan ground as thoroughly as necessary right now without any particular area in mind.

i know theyre out there though, maybe. lol. thanks for the info and good luck to you as well.

for yellows i have my best luck in ash/elm mixed woods.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Hardwaterfan, Do u find them around u or do u have do go more south. I have not been able to find any yet either and have done a lot of llooking but onle in the geauga area.

·
5,882 Posts
peple i think morels can be found anywhere, even in tiny postage stamp size parks in the city. if you want to meet up sometime let me know.

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
Found blacks and greys...left the little greys buried under the leaves to grow!
Zanesville area. Be careful of the turkey hunters everyone, youth turkey starts Saturday.:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
When you find them, could you post some pictures.

I seen lots of shrooms in the woods over time, but with the exception of morals, I am scared to eat them.

·
BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"
2,405 Posts
I'm pulling out now to head to my farm. My Son and I are going camping/hunting/picking for the weekend. I found 1 Black on Weds evening. Hoping to let the boy bag a turkey 1st thing Sat am, then spend the rest of the time picking shrooms.;) If we do shoot or pick anything, I'll post up some pics. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm with you BC. I'm going to take my youngest son turkey hunting for the first time this weekend in the Zaneville area and it sure would be nice to find a nice mess of mushrooms !!! Good luck all & watch out for the kids chasing gobblers.
Tim

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I went looking for them yesterday and didnt see anything except garder snakes all over the place. Im hoping the warm again/coldagain/warm again weather isnt gonna ruin morel season this year.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Found 62 greys today first spot i checked will hit other spots tommorrow chow time is here!! Get the grill fired up steak and shroons! Yum:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts